• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Pulley Alignment 6.2L

Dude82

Howdy all - was having issues with the battery gauge showing green. Driving to a buddy's and heard a pop. Got home late to diagnose, and didnt have any belts left on the alternator. Jeff Foxworthy? "There's yer sign"

Get some new belts using this site!! (awesome and thank you). Realize the alternator pulley doesnt line up with the other V Drive pulleys. This is a 6.2L. Remove alternator and wondering if the alternator bracket is incorrect? I dont see anyway to change the spacers and "tensioner strap" to make up the gap. It looks to be off by about a belt width - meaning like one pulley groove too far forward. It's already disassembled otherwise I'd have a photo. I did notice this issue before disassembling, but assumed that once apart, I'd see some way to adjust to get pulleys to line up.

Any tips, thoughts, experience with the alternator being the only pulley about 1 groove width too far forward? Thanks in advance for your time and assistance here!!

Take care

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
WOW and it didn't wind up some other parts. What AMP rating alternator? Guessing it's a 60. If it is might want to check for a broken mounting ear or the left out spacer. Not a baseball term.

Just guessing. Need pictures and more data. Story of your rig and any mods to help figure it out.

Snap, crackle, POP and done, CAMO

Dude82

1988 M998 6.2L ~6xxx miles on the odometer. The fan has been replaced, radiator, some glow plug related items. the other belt looks pretty old/original. Please see photos. I really only saw one spacer. In the picture, yellow were the ears, and blue was location of the one spacer.20210823_211655.jpg20210823_211850.jpgBracket with ears and spacer.JPG

Dude82

WOW and it didn't wind up some other parts. What AMP rating alternator? Guessing it's a 60. If it is might want to check for a broken mounting ear or the left out spacer. Not a baseball term.

Just guessing. Need pictures and more data. Story of your rig and any mods to help figure it out.

Snap, crackle, POP and done, CAMO
It is 60 Amp, some photos above. Appreciate you taking your time to help.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
It is 60 Amp, some photos above. Appreciate you taking your time to help.
I am not sure what you have going on here. Not even sure what day it is...LOL Pulley on generator / alternator seated correctly? Did someone swap out alternator bracket ? (not sure if there are options here?) Right location with the ears and spacer. Cool yellow and blue diagram. SS 60 Amp dudes take note. Picture looks bad news for belts. Are we looking at it cock -eyed? Maybe a straight edge in the groves from water pump to alternator? I will drop some pictures here soon.

What day is it? CAMO

Photo's added.. towards alt...belts1.jpg from alt... belts2.jpg
straight edge betls 3.jpg

Last edited:

Dude82

I am not sure what you have going on here. Not even sure what day it is...LOL Pulley on generator / alternator seated correctly? Did someone swap out alternator bracket ? (not sure if there are options here?) Right location with the ears and spacer. Cool yellow and blue diagram. SS 60 Amp dudes take note. Picture looks bad news for belts. Are we looking at it cock -eyed? Maybe a straight edge in the groves from water pump to alternator? I will drop some pictures here soon.

What day is it? CAMO
Your straight edge comment got me thinking. Messing around again tonight putting it back together and just seeing what i see.....and i see that it is in fact the power steering pulley that is off plane. Little more of a project ahead of me to figure out what caused it to cant a little. Plus it'll give me an excuse to replace all the belts at the same time. I'll add some photos as it happens. Appreciate the thought starter!

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Your straight edge comment got me thinking. Messing around again tonight putting it back together and just seeing what i see.....and i see that it is in fact the power steering pulley that is off plane. Little more of a project ahead of me to figure out what caused it to cant a little. Plus it'll give me an excuse to replace all the belts at the same time. I'll add some photos as it happens. Appreciate the thought starter!
Back up and see the photos. Post #5. CAMO

Last edited:

Dude82

Following up on this post. It's been a little while, but took advice of this post and others on the site. Ended up doing the quick disconnect upgrade for the fan clutch and water pump as well since I was there (although outside is getting a little rust - didnt think to paint it first :( but oh well). Putting it all back together, the alignment issue was resolved. Not sure what was causing it before, but straightened out. Bought a belt tension gauge, and struggling to actually get the leverage to get proper tension, but planning to reattack in a few months.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks