• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator pulley help please.

mike damerell

It appears that the front bearing in my alternator has gone out. I have my T.M. open to 4-3 Alternator pulley replacement trying to figure out how to get the pulley off. I seem to either not understand what the manual is saying or I have some odd pulley set-up. Mine seems to have a hex at the forward end and doesn't look anything like either picture I am finding in the manual.
Can anyone please tell me what I need to look for?
It's a M1045a2
I will try to post a picture of the alternator. 20230616_115104.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IF the front bearing has gone out you will have to pull the alt to take it apart,
That alt has an overrunning clutch on the front, they tend to have a little play and are noisy by nature.

mike damerell

It has a little more than half an inch of play. It definitely has a new much louder noise, like a blender full of wood chips.
I guess I will start by pulling it out and go from there.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible the overrunning clutch is bad? and not the alt bearing?
Mogman, how do you fix that clutch? I have one damaged and would lime to get it replaced for spare. I mean, if it is fixable instead of replacing the whole $500.00 part.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mogman, how do you fix that clutch? I have one damaged and would lime to get it replaced for spare. I mean, if it is fixable instead of replacing the whole $500.00 part.
I have not ever tackled that one, I am sure someone has though.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The clutch is built into the pully.....if it fails or quits as a clutch....it will be like a standard pully without a clutch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks