• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Questions

2INSANE

I know it’s been covered a million times but the threads I’ve read are confusing...

1. Some members say the driver side alternator does have to have an isolated ground and some members say it does not. What is the truth here?

2. Can someone post a picture of the back side of their Passenger side Alternator wiring?

3. Is there a SS member that rebuilds these Alternators? I would rather give my hard earned money to a member then some big box company.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drivers side alternator does not require an isolated ground. The passenger side requires an isolated unit.
The drivers side can be an isolated unit without any issues.

I have all isolated units and spares. This way I can change any defective alternator with my spares.

Most any competent automotive electric repair shop can rebuild these for you. Sorry, no picture available here at work.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several alternator rebuild threads with pictures. One of them is linked in my signature below.

IF you buy a new alternator, DO NOT give them the old original isolated ground alternator as a core, pay the core charge. The original isolated ground alternator is different and not made any more. They are easy to rebuild. If you don't want to go to the trouble, someone will probably buy your original for more than the core charge.

MarcusOReallyus

I believe they are 27SI

Yes, they are 27SI, Type 100. See here for a service bulletin.

3. Is there a SS member that rebuilds these Alternators? I would rather give my hard earned money to a member then some big box company.
Member TOW4 sells rebuild kits. It's not a difficult job at all. Took me about 45 minutes for the first one, 30 for the second one, not counting remove and replace time. Some members have done it more and can knock one out in 15 minutes.

But if you don't want to, find a shop that does just alternators. Don't take it to a regular auto shop. If you can't find one, ask at your local NAPA.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they are 27SI, Type 100. See here for a service bulletin.

Member TOW4 sells rebuild kits. It's not a difficult job at all. Took me about 45 minutes for the first one, 30 for the second one, not counting remove and replace time. Some members have done it more and can knock one out in 15 minutes.

But if you don't want to, find a shop that does just alternators. Don't take it to a regular auto shop. If you can't find one, ask at your local NAPA.

I don't sell the kits anymore. Now I just offer advice and have a couple of threads to help people figure things out for themselves.

ehuppert

I used to buy from Amsco Valley forge. Web site is a little awkward, but whenever I called the person on the other end was ALWAYS knowledgeable, or passed me to the one who was. Imagine that, a REAL person!!! Only sells to wholesale, but most people "know" someone in the trades.....

2INSANE

So both of my Isolated ground Alternators were toast. I had them checked at 2 places. I do have a spare non-isolated ground alternator I bought from Autozone that would work for the driver side. Part #DL7157 Pic 1-2. Current replacement price $120.

O’Rileys Autoparts was able to hunt down refurbished Isolated Ground Alternators for the CUCV from the Wilson Site. They are $249 each +Shipping. $40 core. They do not come with the spacer, fan blade and pulley. I bought 2 of them because I am in a pinch to get the M1009 to the Exhaust shop today!

I will post up O’Rileys part numbers for these Alternators soon.

Attachments

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You only need the drivers side alternator to operate the vehicle short term. The passenger alternator charges the rear battery which is only used for starting. No big deal if it doesn't work. I ran mine for weeks like that. Just put a battery charger on it every few days.

Save yourself some money and buy rebuild kits.

2INSANE

You only need the drivers side alternator to operate the vehicle short term. The passenger alternator charges the rear battery which is only used for starting. No big deal if it doesn't work. I ran mine for weeks like that. Just put a battery charger on it every few days.

Save yourself some money and buy rebuild kits.
Copy that! Saving money is good! But I had to get it into the Exhaust shop today! They were booked out for months and I suckered up and bought pre rebuilt ones :-/ Buying the rebuild kits and rebuilding them myself would have set back the shop date months. HopefullyI’ll be driving her home next week!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re-read my post. The passenger side alternator doesn't have to work to operate the truck, you just have to have a good rear battery for starting. And you did say you had a spare alternator for the driver side. Maybe I missed something.

Good luck in the future. Learning how to repair the truck yourself is a good thing. A lot of people buy these trucks and their first post is asking where can I get it fixed.

Keith_J

I've had good luck with DB Electrical starters from Amazon. They have isolated negative 27SI type 100 for $165. Worth it for a spare so you can rebuild the original on your spare time. No core charge, brand new.

2INSANE

And then we warn them to stay away from shops and do it yourself!
That comment made me butthurt! I work 14hour days, raise 2 kids and building a house. Where do I find time to do it all myself? Yes I know how. No I am not lazy. Yes I can afford to pay someone to do it for me. :) I come home every day from work so tired with Hydraulic fluid all over my clothes and body. I am not young anymore... My arthritis from wrenching all these years are catching up to me. My eye site is shot, back shot... I need a nice vacation to Moab or Fiji!

On my days off sometimes it is so nice to just have someone do the work for me to give me some time for myself to do yard work or dishes. You know what I mean. And let’s not forget... Beer drinking time!

Last edited:

LT67

So both of my Isolated ground Alternators were toast. I had them checked at 2 places. I do have a spare non-isolated ground alternator I bought from Autozone that would work for the driver side. Part #DL7157 Pic 1-2. Current replacement price $120.

O’Rileys Autoparts was able to hunt down refurbished Isolated Ground Alternators for the CUCV from the Wilson Site. They are $249 each +Shipping. $40 core. They do not come with the spacer, fan blade and pulley. I bought 2 of them because I am in a pinch to get the M1009 to the Exhaust shop today!

I will post up O’Rileys part numbers for these Alternators soon.
Is their not a shop near by that can rebuild them for you?? I had both of mine rebuilt and it was less than $200 for both of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks