• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator questions

Glider

My alternator is going bad..I think. When I first purchased it would surge between green and red on gauge. I adjusted the regulator so when it wasn't surging or showing overcharge the needle sat right on the line in the green. Sometimes it would get stuck "Overcharging" and I would turn the engine off and restart. Now, I've driven the Hmmve maybe 5000 miles and now the needle will show a charge in yellow most of the time and sometimes it will show a proper charge. The surging appears to have gone away. I haven't checked voltage with meter or checked batteries as of yet. Currently it spins over fast when cranking and all lights burn bright.

When purchased the PO said it needs alternator work and I am ready to get it sorted. I checked with local alternator shop and they said they could rebuild but there were no parts available. Steel Soldier search didn't mention much about rebuild but did mention a delco 21si as a replacement.

Does anyone know a company that sells rebuild kits? Is the delco alternator a good option or just something that "can" be done. I don't have any plans for accessories that a 60amp alternator couldn't handle with ease.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say that the Delco alternator is a good option for an older truck, the only caveat being you should still put in some type of battery balancer system, or at least rotate them every month in order to keep them equalized.
it is a simple, easily available alternator with a very high level of reliability, especially compared to the stock generator system. Also much cheaper than upgrading to the 200 amp dual voltage system.
Only downsides that I know of are having to do the modification work (which should be simple) and the fact that it's "not OEM". I'll personally take simplicity and reliability over OEM any day of the week, because I'm not a purist.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Southern Electric is a source for parts or rebuilt units assuming it is the stock 60 amp unit. The stock unit also fits lots of other series trucks so check the classifieds also.

But do your self a favor, basic troubleshoting should be load testing each battery first to make sure they are good. Harbor freight has an inexpensive tester many call the Bread toaster or most parts stores will load test batteries. Go from there.

Glider

Just checked with Southern Automotive they have 98 complete alternators in stock. No rebuild kits. They could check to see if they had individual parts but I wouldn't know what to ask for. Also, they are wholesale only.

Also found this: http://www.southernautomotive.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/29

My alternator rebuilder seems to think the regulator could cause the issues I describe. There are other possible causes but that was his top answer.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had this problem with my old 60A (since upgraded the power plant to include alternator). In my case it was the regulator. A new regulator end cap and the problem went away and stayed away. I have that takeoff 60A alternator if you're interested. But it's definitely cheaper to buy a new regulator than ship a whole alternator.
BDGR

Glider

I had this problem with my old 60A (since upgraded the power plant to include alternator). In my case it was the regulator. A new regulator end cap and the problem went away and stayed away. I have that takeoff 60A alternator if you're interested. But it's definitely cheaper to buy a new regulator than ship a whole alternator.
BDGR
What would you charge me for it shipped?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks