• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Rebuild Problem

ilovemyblazer

Rebuilding my Gen 1 using the "complete" kit from CUCV Electric. I'm also following step by step with their online instructions. I've reached this point to where they're telling me to install the bus bar onto the rectifier. But the rectifier hole is not threaded...
(See Pics. First is from CUCV electric. Second is mine.)
Is it supposed to be threaded or not? The old one is, I don't see why the new one wouldn't be. And they don't say anything on the website about it..

Attachments

ralbelt

Your local garage or power eq shop should have taps, perhaps you could ask a favor and have them do it. Any real good hdwe store should also carry taps.

Skinny

I had this discussion with CUCV Electric. I will say first that he is an absolutely outstanding person to deal with. He has gone above and beyond helping me with a problem and his parts always come on time.

The new rectifier is unthreaded. The old bolts will go right into the new unthreaded holes no problem. Just go nice and easy, check it for straightness too. If you want to tap them, I believe they are 4mm x 0.75mm or 4mm x 0.8mm

Both are so close and being it's such a small fastener, I don't think it will care about the 0.05mm difference in thread pitch.

ilovemyblazer

The old bolts will go right into the new unthreaded holes no problem. Just go nice and easy, check it for straightness too.
Its just with mine, the old bolts were not self tapping. They just had flat ends. So that's what got me worried and made me come here for advice. Like I said, whenever I don't follow the directions, I break things!
Thanks for the help though, guys.

Skinny

Its just with mine, the old bolts were not self tapping. They just had flat ends. So that's what got me worried and made me come here for advice. Like I said, whenever I don't follow the directions, I break things!
Thanks for the help though, guys.
Yup, they are non-tapping. The threads go right to the end of the fastener. I tapped the first rectifier which helped. The second I tried running the bolts in without tapping and they worked just fine.

Made me nervous though:D

dedgar301

I sure wish I would have ordered more rebuild kits from CUCV Electric when I had the chance. Sure miss him now. Visited the website but still is not in operation. Can anyone recommend another good vendor who can supply a quality complete rebuild kit like he did for a decent price for my CUCV? Thanks, Dan - 3AD Spearhead!

dependable

I sure wish I would have ordered more rebuild kits from CUCV Electric when I had the chance. Sure miss him now. Visited the website but still is not in operation. Can anyone recommend another good vendor who can supply a quality complete rebuild kit like he did for a decent price for my CUCV? Thanks, Dan - 3AD Spearhead!
I just looked for my old supplier, Spring Hill Auto Electric, 'city search' reports them closed as well. Search came up with www.aspwholesale.com. To find the 27 SI 100 parts, I had to put Cadillac Fleetwood (RWD), 1985, in their parts search. Have not bought from them, but prices seem OK. They have some starter parts also, did not see military listing, but they list some 24 v stuff if you put 27 or 28 MT in search. They do have a phone #, which is nice as well. They also list they have Leece Neville parts (for M 1010).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spring Hill changed their name to ASP Wholesale. I have ordered many parts from them.

Here is the kit I use. 27SI type 100

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5137

Just be aware that almost everyones parts are coming from east Asia and some of the new parts may not last as long as you would think.

And they have started carrying the starter parts for the 27MT 24V direct drive starters. You just need to call them to make sure they are sending the correct one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks