• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator rebuild

chevywood

Ok guys, first alternator rebuild and for the most part it has been pretty easy. The one problem that I have is where does the 3rd little plastic washer go. I have 2 under the metal finned piece that the diode connects 2 with the 3 nuts, but I am not for sure we're the 3rd would go

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a picture of it?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I meant the washer.

chevywood

The black ones are the ones that came out, image.jpgimage.jpgWhich they are a little thicker, the white one is the one left. Also, what is the 2 tab metal piece as there was not one that came out

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 2 tab thing is a resistor. It is not used in all alternators.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, the white one is the only one you need to know where it goes?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me look at the -20TM. Off the top of my head, I dont recall for sure.

Could it be the "insulator" shown in that picture, at the top right?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whoops, wrong TM, its in TM 9-2320-289-34.

Viewing with adobe reader, around page 264. Take a look at that.

Vhyle

Off the top of my head, I believe that's an insulator for one of the posts that protrude externally from the case. But I'm not 100% sure.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So where did this third washer come from? Did you remove it from the alternator or was it in a kit?

The TM 9-2320-289-34 tech manual has a step-by-step explaination of how to rebuild the unit. It also shows where all the parts go. As far as the two tabbed resistor, all the Cucv units I have rebuilt used that resistor.

someone may have been inside the unit before you and not replaced everything back where it belongs.

i always like to take pictures of what I am taking apart so I can remember where everything goes.

Last edited:

chevywood

As warthog said might of happened, I think somebody had been inside of it before me and possibly added a washer as well as not put in the resistor because when I went back and checked mine with the rebuild instructions I had it correct. I was even worried so I took it to oriely's to have it tested and it passed fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks