• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Rebuild

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received my rebuild kits today for the alternators and I plan on rebuilding both of them and replacing the belts while I'm at it.

I have spent many an evening reading the TMs and posts about the above.

I would appreciate any words of wisdom or tricks of the trade prior to diving in on Sat AM.

Thanks,

Bert

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take pictures as you go.

DO NOT loose the fiber washers on any of the screws. You will have a nice fireworks show if they are not reinstalled in the proper place.

Skinny

The TM's have great diagrams with where all the internal fasteners and parts lay inside the case. Camera is your friend!

ssdvc

Where did you get the rebuild kits? The only source for a complete, correct and quality rebuild kit I knew of was cucvelectric and they are in the process of regrouping to better serve the customer base. I need to do mine and would love to find an available source sooner than later.

Thanks,

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at the CUCV Elec site and took notes. I read the TMs and took Warthogs advice and bought from ASP.

Shipping was same day and had the parts in two days. I will rebuild these after work on Saturday and post how it went after.

Thanks for your input.

Bert

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When/if you replace the bearings. Make sure you use some support for the rear case. If not you can break it.

I usually use a socket larger than the bearing for support and a smaller socket to drive it out with a hammer. I drive from the outside in.

i can post a picture if needed

M1008driver

The passenger side alt and the power steering belt are the same as the K30 Chevy Truck. Search the forum for the driver side alt belt. One thing I learned is make sure they are tight and check them again because they will stretch. I bought the parts and paid a shop to rebuild my alts. They came back looking new. I did print the TM for reference.

Skinny

Rock on!

Don't forget to do a little preventative maintenance by taking out the GEN bulbs and cleaning the sockets. May want to throw new bulbs in just for giggles...

bshupe

I just did mine recently and I used my phone to take photos for reference, I also used a piece of cardboard to lay-out all the old parts in order as they came out and then used that as a reference for putting the new parts in.

If you are replacing the bearings, I found it very useful to use a small propane torch to heat the housing. The little bit of expansion you get by heating it allows the old bearing to come out quite easily. Heat the housing again and then use a large socket to press in the new one.

bigginstactical

I have read a bunch of posts about this but my problem is a little different. The post shown in the video is loose in the alt. case. Can this be fixed or is stripped out? I don't really want to open the case up and see as I don't have the cash to fix right now. I don't like having things torn apart with out parts to go right back in. Thanks in advance for any help!http://youtu.be/qp29Ar5xbg8

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Split the case and tighten the nut on the inside. You may want to use a drop of blue lock-tight to keep it in place. Be prepared for the brushes to pop out of the holder. Reinstall them and use a paperclip to hold them in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks