• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator size?

Sam27

How many amps are the CUCV alternators rated for? I was looking at a big inverter to make AC power, but not sure if the alternator could keep up.

Anyone every set up their CUCV to make multi kW of AC power? I'm thinking about emergency power during a blackout like we just had, to run the well and sump pump.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I used my car and work van to run the sump, fridge, and other basics when the power was out for a week+ during Isebel. I used those solid state inverters. This was a 12vdc to 110vac inverter. From my experience I would not worry about the alternator size as much as having quality batteries. You will only run the vehicle to charge the battery periodically. Having another vehicle or a spare battery to jump your vehicle is key though as you might overdue the usage.

I second the 5KW generator idea too, but maintenace is key as you won't use it much. I had one of those going too keeping my parents and a friend's freezers frozen.

Sam27

Re: RE: Alternator size?

CCATLETT1984 said:
you would be better off getting a small generator, like the 5KW gensets.
Maybe. Space is at a premium in my garage though, so I was hoping to avoid having another thing sitting around. Plus, it might go years between uses, which just seems bad. If I could make the inverter thing work, it would take no space, plus be handy to have when I'm away from home sometimes.

I'm surprised there's not something available to run as a belt driven accessory? Why do I need yet another motor...

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

Sam27 said:
I'm surprised there's not something available to run as a belt driven accessory? Why do I need yet another motor...
There are things like that out there. The off-road guys have all sorts of toys like onboard welders that make AC power and such. They are expensive though. Poke around over at k5colorado.com. The problem though for prolonged usage is that you are running a 130+ HP motor to run something that talkes WAY less power.

CCATLETT1984

builder77 said:
Sam27 said:
There are things like that out there. The off-road guys have all sorts of toys like onboard welders that make AC power and such. They are expensive though. Poke around over at k5colorado.com. The problem though for prolonged usage is that you are running a 130+ HP motor to run something that talkes WAY less power.
the wesite is www.coloradok5.com

you can get a little genset that will take up hardly any space at all. the new little honda's are very nice, if you only need to run lights and a sump pump a 2-3Kw unit would more that suffice.

Sam27

CCATLETT1984 said:
builder77 said:
Sam27 said:
the wesite is www.coloradok5.com

you can get a little genset that will take up hardly any space at all. the new little honda's are very nice, if you only need to run lights and a sump pump a 2-3Kw unit would more that suffice.
What is a genset? I'm a member at ck5 too. Actually, I recently posted the same question there. but didn't get much in the way of leads.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Re: RE: Alternator size?

Genset is short for generator set. The newer 5kw quiet pack sets are pretty nice and a lot quieter than the 3kw's powered by the 4-cyl military standard engine.

Sam27

Re: RE: Re: RE: Alternator size?

Recovry4x4 said:
There is one. http://www.aurasystems.com/
Yeah, I found that after I wrote the message. I wasn't able to find them actually for sale anywhere though, except one on Ebay for almost $1000.

This place has them too, with bracket kits for a 6.2 no less:
http://www.vehiclepower.com/index.html

No prices there either though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks