• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator went bad. Thinking of switching to 12v???

Sparo2

Hey guys,

So my alternator took a crap. To get it rebuilt locally will be about $400+. The alternator is a 60 or 65 amp unit and I was thinking of upgrading to a 200 amp alternator but they are very expensive. I also noticed that 24V parts are more expensive than 12V parts, which sucks even more. So I was thinking of my options and this is what I came up with…

1. I can either have this alternator rebuild and put it back in. But then down the road I'm going to need to upgrade to a 200amp alternator.

2. I can switch over to 12V and parts are far more readily available and cheaper.

3. I can save up for a 200 amp alternator but I still think it will be cheaper to switch to 12V.

So I think the best option would be to upgrade the electrical system to 12V. Parts are readily available and they're cheaper.

So I was thinking of starting off by purchasing a 200 amp 12V alternator and a high torque gear reduction starter.

What else what I need to upgrade in order to make a complete transition from 24V to 12V?

Will the glow plug controller box work on 12V?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3000gt

Stick with 24 volt. You can find 200 amp alternators rather cheap if you are patient. If i can find my 60 amp i will give it to you

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going 12v is not an upgrade, nor cheaper, everything in the truck is 24v, every light, gauge and starter.
do it right...upgrade to a 200amp, it will be cheaper.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,

So my alternator took a crap. To get it rebuilt locally will be about $400+. The alternator is a 60 or 65 amp unit and I was thinking of upgrading to a 200 amp alternator but they are very expensive. I also noticed that 24V parts are more expensive than 12V parts, which sucks even more. So I was thinking of my options and this is what I came up with…

1. I can either have this alternator rebuild and put it back in. But then down the road I'm going to need to upgrade to a 200amp alternator.

2. I can switch over to 12V and parts are far more readily available and cheaper.

3. I can save up for a 200 amp alternator but I still think it will be cheaper to switch to 12V.

So I think the best option would be to upgrade the electrical system to 12V. Parts are readily available and they're cheaper.

So I was thinking of starting off by purchasing a 200 amp 12V alternator and a high torque gear reduction starter.

What else what I need to upgrade in order to make a complete transition from 24V to 12V?

Will the glow plug controller box work on 12V?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
PM sent

Sparo2

I wouldn't mind keeping the 24V system but the parts are harder to find and more expensive. Not to mention that when I decide to add accessories I'm gonna have to get something to change the voltage.

I figured since I gotta spend this amount of money on the alternator I might as well use the money to upgrade to a simpler system.

If you find the alternator let me know how much you want.

Sparo2

Going 12v is not an upgrade, nor cheaper, everything in the truck is 24v, every light, gauge and starter.
do it right...upgrade to a 200amp, it will be cheaper.
Ok that's what I wanted to know. I wanted to know if everything else needed to be upgraded. So that would make it more expensive. Guess I'll be keeping the 24V.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't mind keeping the 24V system but the parts are harder to find and more expensive. Not to mention that when I decide to add accessories I'm gonna have to get something to change the voltage.

I figured since I gotta spend this amount of money on the alternator I might as well use the money to upgrade to a simpler system.

If you find the alternator let me know how much you want.
not sure what you mean cheaper...HMMWV parts are pretty cheap and abundant. Just depends on what goes out and has to be replaced I guess. Just cuz it's 24v does not make it any harder or easier then 12v, it's all going to function the same.
there is nothing worse than a truck that someone tried to convert to 12v, it's typically a wiring nightmare.
you and the truck will be happier if it's kept the way it's designed....

tkdtim

infidel gave me the same advice when my generator went and it was awesome. Backup and running in now time with a little fab work to the old generator bracket.

Sparo2

I don't mind a little fan work. Does this alternator come in 100amps? I would like to put in at least 100amps, if possible.

samuraicrawler

I too would be interested in this. A lot of the people on here are against changing from the original when it comes to anything on our trucks. I want to add lights and a stereo system that are all 12v plus be able to pull small utility trailers (No I don't want a cassette player that's meant for an old 24v tractor)

ari

I have a normal car stereo with blue tooth and a phone charger in mine. Built a box for the radio it and bolted it to a radio tray. inside the box is a 24 to 12 volt inverter. Works nicely and I can remove it and no-one will ever know it was there.

infidel got me

I would not recommend changing to a 12v charging system. You will create a ton of problems, let alone spending a small fortune on replacement parts. I would recommend a delco replacement and a 24/12 volt convertor.

snowtrac nome

keep it 24 volt,at the end of the day uncle sam uses 24 volt systems,because it takes half the amps to do the same amount of work.that is why your 24 v direct drive starter spins faster and longer than you can do with a commercial 6.2 l diesel. be advised converting a duce is less work than a hmmwv with its glow plug system and pcb. wiper system the list goes on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks