• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator woes

deuceinaround

Hey guys, my alternator took a dump awhile back and im just now getting around to fixing it.

It quit charging so I took it off of the truck intending to work on it but got side tracked into other projects,is anybody familiar with this model??? (pics below) and where would I look for parts or a replacment??? prob looking to sell the truck soon so cheaper is better,not really looking for aftermarket replacement.

But any help or advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/i...e73bf8a0/l.jpg
http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/i...2fdb2dc8/l.jpg

wb1895

I would take it to a alternator repair shop and have them check it first. Mine quit charging a few days ago, turned out the exciter wire was split and not making a good connection.

I repaired the wire and she is charging like a champ now. cost...... about 10 cents

s1036s

X2

X2 on taking it to alternator shop. Mine wasnt charging and I took it in to have it tested and they told me it was charging fine.... Also look into the civilian 24v alternators, it may be a good time to upgrade....

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yea, I'd rather take it to a good Alt. shop. that way they could check the bearings and brushes. i think the couple extra bucks would be worth the peace of mind. i plan on doing that with mine someday. there is an old guy here in Binghamton that really knows his $hit about this kinda stuff. Those old guys can be a wealth of knowledge.... and a wealth of stinky farts! brutal ones!:lol:

deuceinaround

Well I have already gone the alt shop route,or at least the only local one that will work on it,he says he's a dealer for the parts but it would cost $400+ for the parts,but I had someone else take it to the shop for me because I had to work that day and they didn't ask what parts it needs.

Im hoping to sell the truck as soon as I get it going so proly looking for a good used one if I can find one,just bolt on and go :smile:

ps......................The guy at the alt shop said it cost the goverment $1700 if they had to buy the alt from the manufacture.............................i cant spend that much :roll:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like you have 2 choices .
1 : Spend the money to fix the truck and try for top dollar
2 : Sell the truck as is with known charging problem and lower the price accordingly

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks