• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aluminum armor

tigertank

The recent threads about uparmoring the m998 has me wondering? We are in the process of wanting to slightly up armor our m998 for use as police raid vehicle... Finding the original armor we had on the ones overseas is impoosible plus i dont want 800 lbs doors lol. I know there was alot of chassis and spring upgrades done when the did the kits..
Has anyone cut there own aluminum and added to sides and such to add some protection? Also there was a mention of bank glass instead of the stock ballistics that alway delaminate .

BLK HMMWV

A lot of us have made our own stuff but none of us have decided we trust it enough to sit behind it while somebody shoots at us.
The aluminum armor normally fit the body parts around the door. Not going to help much if you don't have the armored doors.
Is this your personal vehicle? What's the liability using a non department vehicle for police business. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen should something go sideways during a raid.

tigertank

what and how does it matter if its a personal vehicle? cali is diff that texas is guess... they cant sue you for what you ride in,,, last several years during the floods we used this for search and rescue, during that time the local meth dealers took shots at us that why the need for a little armor ... there not good shots lolo

BLK HMMWV

search and rescue different then using it as a raid vehicle. I believe that is what your original post said.
if a department vehicle probably could qualify for surplus military stuff. not so easy with civilian owned .
That and the liability issue if involved in an accident or other unforeseen incident during raid and it ends up being a non department vehicle any competent lawyer going to go after you .
But hey knock yourself out I don't care
the m1113 armor is out there but you'd still need to do something about the doors and windows

tigertank

we have all that covered already like I said cali is way different than here.... all u need is a liability policy we have a very large one.... what do u think about bank teller glass being used in the stockframe? also we are looking for some x doors we will add additional Kevlar to them.... btw are u a leo? ot atty by chance

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Add some steel to the outer doors 1/4 or 5/16 plate. Not that heavy. Reinforce the hinges. or modify some of the MRAP armored hinges that SwampDonkey offers if you want to add heavier plate. Then stuff as many BP vests as you can into the inside of the door. You can always take em out while you are not on a raid. You would want to make an inside panel to hold em in but seems simple enough. If they are shooting 50s then you need something more well protected. Otherwise if you have 2 layers or more of vests inside that door small arms are not going to penetrate. Then you also drape a vest over the window with it up. One inside and one on the outside
Across the windshield bezel fashion down a few sandbags and a few in the kick panels inside

Even lining the inside with thick wood and fashioning vests to the backside will slow a round down, even a rifle, for the vest to stop the round.

Or go hillbilly.

Attachments

BLK HMMWV

Most of the material used in banks, gas stations , DMV's is plastic of some nature. ( its about 2" thick)
You might be able to fit it into a X door window frame some how but the window would be fixed not able to slide down.
Yes you could probably take some AR500 and skin a set of original X doors but you would have to change from the original style hinges to a piano style hinge like what was used on the heavy doors.
You would then most likely need to beef up the B pillar support structure to carry the weight.
To me there are just to many unprotected areas that won't be protected in a skinned 998 .
The area around the window frames, windshield frame , hood, roof, rear hatch, sponsons, .
I know your all going to be wearing your vests and gear but it would still be a little unsettling going up against anyone with a rifle in it.

I'd just start off with an old brinks truck and modify it.

tigertank

lol u might be right on brinks geez this is more intricate than what we want to get into.... there is that program where we can get the armored ones from DOD I think but city doesn't want that scary looking vehicle... they worry about scaring people... that's why we thought we can slightly mod my m998.

BLK HMMWV

No offence but the city seems to have their priorities screwed up.
If the look of the truck is scary then it might also be a deterrent to the bad guys.
Funny you keep saying Texas is different then Cali. I'd think Texas of all places wouldn't give a hoot what the people think.
They seem more worried about political correctness then even my screwed up state.
Stay safe.

BH

teletech

Most aluminum armor isn't any more bullet resistant than plain old 6061, it's just a bit lighter.

I'm not sure how much scarier an armored HMMVW is than an old bank truck, but I would sure rather be in a bank truck if I were going to take rounds!

Some of the slightly newer bank trucks are pretty small, Less like an F-700 and more like an E-450 so you could show up in something pretty discreet if you wanted to.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Rolling into a gun fight in a Hummwv and then trying to get out the door with all the gear sounds like a bad idea to me. Not unless the turret gunner is going at it...and I haven't seen SWAT work that one yet. Could also paint a bad image for the hobby after the fact. Private party Hummer rams door, Texas Rangers shoot out at OK corral... News at 11.