• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aluminum wheels

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Really nice guy and always willing to give you coaching if you need it!
Everything I have bought from him has been perfect and REASONABLE too!

htxol

Ok everyone I’ve figured out all the different O-ring sizes and where to get them for these aluminum wheels. By the way the wheel part number is 0347 if you look on your wheel you’ll find WO-0347, WO stands for wheel outer and WI-0347, WI stands for wheel inner.
After the last post I’ve search everywhere ended up getting in touch with the engineer at Hutchinson about the large oring and he explained that it was truly a round oring and after getting hot they sometimes take a different shape....crazy to me, sounds like they should use a different material. But he did say I could order them from them and even shared the part number and a picture. Part # 50012View attachment 830798
$18.00 each with a minimum order of $100 plus shipping.
So with that data you can go to McMaster Carr and order...made to order O-rings. So I ordered 4 each Buna orings with maximum temp of 250 degrees and 4 high temp silicone orings max temp 450.
View attachment 830799
and here are the other small orings for the CTIS valve and the back side of the wheel.

Thanks for all of the research!

Any user experience with different oring mfg / materials?

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go on McMaster Carr site and look at o-rings. They do a great job a describing the different materials and application. Then pick based on your conditions such as needs to be gas resistant or heat resistant and so on.

htxol

Go on McMaster Carr site and look at o-rings. They do a great job a describing the different materials and application. Then pick based on your conditions such as needs to be gas resistant or heat resistant and so on.
Thanks

I thought you had purchased 3 different types for mating the 2 parts of your wheels (Hutchinson, McMaster Silicon, McMaster Buta-n). Which did you end up using?

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the large oring for the two wheel halves I ended up canceling the McMaster order because of the lead time and because when I received the new ones from Hutchinson it appears they are using a different compound the the original orings which took on the shape of the wheel. My guess is the original Hutchinson orings didn’t have the spring back to the original roundness maybe because of heat and pressure. The new Hutchinson orings are white in color and seem to be made of a silicone blend. Which would help solve both of those problems.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So in the back of the truck, I recently purchased are four crates with these rims with tires on them. I have not dug through the boxes yet. What are the odds that the lug nuts for them will be inside the boxes? I won't get a chance to look until later in the week when I get out to my friends shop where I am storing the truck. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Third From Texas

So in the back of the truck, I recently purchased are four crates with these rims with tires on them. I have not dug through the boxes yet. What are the odds that the lug nuts for them will be inside the boxes? I won't get a chance to look until later in the week when I get out to my friends shop where I am storing the truck. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Just remember that there are different threads for the left and right sides of the truck.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I found a set of four of these wheels and they are currently being blasted and powder coated, then will get new MVT’s mounted. I have a question relative beadlocks. It seems there are two options, the split steel band beadlock that seems to be the standard issue with the steel wheels, or a one piece rubber beadlock. The seller I’m getting these from is planning on assembling them with the one piece rubber beadlocks, and it sounds like those are their preference. Is there any consensus her as to what beadlock would be preferred?

I also would like to make everyone aware that Hutchinson has changed their policies and no longer sells to the public. When I called them I was told I would need to go through their distributor Blue Raven Solutions. I called them and gave them the part numbers of the CTI nut kits and was told I had to place my request for parts via email. Did that and got a response requiring me to provide additional information. Things like what is the due date of this request, what is the intended destination of the parts, what is the intended end use of the parts, and some other very military sounding questions I wasn’t sure how to answer. Did my best, sent the email and haven’t heard anything back. While I was talking with the guy, he said “let me see what these have historically sold for”. I told him they should be around $33 each. He said I was right on for the left hand thread part number, but that the right hand thread part number was more. I said that didn’t make sense, they’re the same thing just one reverse thread and then asked him how much more the right hand thread part number was. He said it was roughly $300 dollars more. I said it sounds like a situation like the $18000 toilet seats on the P3 Orion. He laughed and said yeah it does.

In any event, they don’t stock anything, so he has to place a request for availability and pricing from Hutchenson, so hopefully the pricing comes back in the $30’s for both part numbers. It seems someone accidentally added a zero to the cost of the one part number and it’s pretty scary that the government just paid over $300 for a nut with a couple of o rings.

Now to see if the place in Florida has any of these wheels left so I can get one for my spare, and to check if the source for the CTIS valve rebuild kit is still good. Can someone confirm that is the correct kit for the valves on these wheels?

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a feeling, the CTI lug nuts are going to be difficult to get a hold of. Does anyone know where these may be had other than straight from Hutchinson? If they end up being out of stock, I need a backup plan for the trip home with the truck.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel responsible for them changing there policies after I figured it all out and shared it with this small community and they felt it was to much of a problem and stopped selling to us.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel responsible for them changing there policies after I figured it all out and shared it with this small community and they felt it was to much of a problem and stopped selling to us.
Well, I just hope I can find some of these nuts in the next couple of weeks or this new wheel and tire combo are going to be very expensive paper weights.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone post a photo of these wheels with MVT’s from an angle that shows where the outside face of the well is relative to the sidewall of the tire. Looking various snow chain and prefer the SCC cable chains for cost and ease of installation, but it looks like the steel hooks for the tension band would rub on the wheel and I would rather not file up the powder coating. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks