• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AM General M934 How difficult is it to find repairs & how much will they set me back?

Alice

AM General M934 How difficult is it to find repairs & how much will they set me back?

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this question but for M934 trucks how accessible are the parts? How often do they need maintenance and where can i get it serviced if im not able to do the work myself. Also how much should i roughly factor into keeping in the "repairs/service" savings?

Ive recently gotten an opportunity to buy an AM General M934 which i would love to actually camp in and tour the states with as i travel for work quite often. So im hoping before i actually buy it, to have a rough ball park on how much i would spend to upkeeping the big guy (not including the fuel), and how easy is it to find service for it.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Hope to hear your input :)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It depends on the repair service you need. Engines can be 800 to $5000 to replace either variants. Most parts are available thru local parts supply places by using the "5 ton parts spreadsheet" sticky. They were mostly meant to be repaired in the field and on the go so they arent hard to work on or fix. I can do nearly every repair with the tools i carry on board.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

machinist75

Mine was one repair after another. Busted liner to injection pump rebuild twice. Make sure you can turn a wrench or stay away. My two brother in laws are diesel mechanics and they couldn't work on them cause no computer to tell them what was wrong.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Key statement stated above:
If you can't turn a wrench yourself, stay away.
That is so true unless you have EXTREMELY deep pockets.

Some guys try to tear up their trucks by the way they drive them and the terrain.
A lot just want to cruise and simply enjoy the truck.
How/where you drive (mud/rocks/etc) will determine a lot on the upkeep cost.

Of course the truck itself requires a lot of maintenance even if it never sees a dirt road.
Stay on top of it and it isn't bad.
Get behind and it will eat your cash quickly.
Surplus parts are thinning out and some parts are harder to get than others.
A few are very difficult to find. Usually the part you need right away.

Read the stickies and old threads.
It will help you make an informed decision.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...My two brother in laws are diesel mechanics and they couldn't work on them cause no computer to tell them what was wrong.
Sounds like you need to buy them computers, and show them this awesome called website called Steelsoldiers, so the knowledgeable people there can tell them whats wrong...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Most diesel shops that have an "old school mechanic" can work on them.

Shop labor for my guy is 75 bucks an hour if he can use the book to figure the rate. He just quoted me 350 bucks to replace an exhaust manifold gasket if there are no broken studs.

For most common repairs the book will give them a guideline.

For services (oil changes, greasing, coolant change, etc) you will pay about what a civilian truck will pay for materials plus the labor charge.

If you get an A2 with the super single tires bear in mind the tires with rims weigh right at 500 pounds each. You will not be changing tires on the side of the road without a service truck and technician. If they are not familiar with the CTIS and break something you will have more problems. Unless you know the field expedient fixes for the CTIS you will be sitting on the side of the road.

These trucks are not built for driver/passenger comfort. They were built to move massive amounts of war material over improved and unimproved roads. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Minimal windshield wipers and defrosters and no heated mirrors. They ride like oxcarts and the long wheelbase trucks have the turning radius of the Titanic.

They are also notoriously slow on the road especially when loaded. We just had a member rear ended by a commercial vehicle while pulling a hill. Check out his thread. A minor miracle that no one was killed. A few years ago we had a member killed when his truck was rear ended by a semi.

If you think it is expensive to get a small vehicle towed wait until you have to call a big rig tow service. My guy charges 200 bucks to take the wrecker keys out of his pocket and crank it. Get that M934 stuck out in the boondocks and you better have a wad of cash or a credit card with a very high limit.

They also suck fuel at a prodigious rate. My M927A2 gets about 6 MPG empty going downhill with a 40 MPH tailwind. An M934 has the aerodynamics of a concrete block, it will get a lot less. You will visit a lot of fuel stops in your travels.

Unless you are going to do a lot of off roading you will be better served by a motorhome.

Mos68x

No matter which version of 5ton you look at the mileage and hours can really play a big part in how much u expected maintenance you'll have. I bought with fairly low numbers, lower than I had found on GL, and it has done me good. Some of my repairs are because of the rough roads I live and drive on, but they haven't been bad at all for cost since I do everything myself.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally don't think they are that bad.
I've owned from deuce to hemtt and not a one of them has cost me a first born child lol. It's not the cheapest hobby but also not the most expensive one. Buy a helicopter or a plane then you better have some cash. Find a truck that looks good and not beaten to ****.

Alice

God **** it guys, this forum has always been so helpful, im always so impressed with the amount of effort and knowledge you guys are willing to share with a newcomer. I appreciate each and every one of you and your replies. Thank you!

Key statement stated above:
If you can't turn a wrench yourself, stay away...-

...Some guys try to tear up their trucks by the way they drive them and the terrain.
A lot just want to cruise and simply enjoy the truck.
How/where you drive (mud/rocks/etc) will determine a lot on the upkeep cost.
Im pretty used to working on machines and i love to get my hands dirty with it all but it comes with limitations at what i can do, 1. because of experience, and 2. because soaked in water i just about push 120lbs. So id have to get a boy to fix things for me if its heavy stuff. ;) Most of my experience comes from working on 50-65ft barges in europe. I own a military motorcycle there too and always love the way these machines were built. To the point and durable to get the job back on the road.
Other than that im a good driver, im careful and mindful of my machines and the others on the roads, plus it will keep to the main roads, not much offroading for me in the mean time.
Most diesel shops that have an "old school mechanic" can work on them...-
..For services (oil changes, greasing, coolant change, etc) you will pay about what a civilian truck will pay for materials plus the labor charge.
If you get an A2 with the super single tires bear in mind the tires with rims weigh right at 500 pounds each. You will not be changing tires on the side of the road without a service truck and technician. If they are not familiar with the CTIS and break something you will have more problems. Unless you know the field expedient fixes for the CTIS you will be sitting on the side of the road.
These trucks are not built for driver/passenger comfort. They were built to move massive amounts of war material over improved and unimproved roads. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Minimal windshield wipers and defrosters and no heated mirrors. They ride like oxcarts and the long wheelbase trucks have the turning radius of the Titanic.
They are also notoriously slow on the road especially when loaded. We just had a member rear ended by a commercial vehicle while pulling a hill. Check out his thread. A minor miracle that no one was killed. A few years ago we had a member killed when his truck was rear ended by a semi.
If you think it is expensive to get a small vehicle towed wait until you have to call a big rig tow service. My guy charges 200 bucks to take the wrecker keys out of his pocket and crank it. Get that M934 stuck out in the boondocks and you better have a wad of cash or a credit card with a very high limit.
They also suck fuel at a prodigious rate. My M927A2 gets about 6 MPG empty going downhill with a 40 MPH tailwind. An M934 has the aerodynamics of a concrete block, it will get a lot less. You will visit a lot of fuel stops in your travels.

Unless you are going to do a lot of off roading you will be better served by a motorhome.
Thank you for your detailed reply! So for oil changes and all the basic stuff i guess its not going to kill me to get work done? I just wonder how common are the diesel shops these days for non commercial/civilian trucks.
My worst fear is getting stuck on the side of a road and obviously i cant just call up triple A to swoop me up. As far as getting a technician to the side of a road, how much would that go down? And how accessible are these guys, or are there few around these days? But then what the **** am i talking about, there are semi's everywhere i imagine at least i can count on that to save me if **** hits the fan? Right?

Fuel is fun huh? I mean im lucky not to have to travel too much but jesus christ i know ill be plotting pit stop to pit stop, unless ive underestimated it, i think i can manage the fuel alright.
Ahh dude, sorry to hear about the guys getting hurt. :( What can i say, i hope they enjoyed the **** out of their rides, i hope everyone does.

As far as comfort, i get you, but **** it :D I see these trucks as a thing of beauty. Sure i could get a motorhome, was considering it even but at the end of the day you can get a horse or you can get a dragon. Id rather put up with getting burn with the latter in exchange for the amazing experience.

I personally don't think they are that bad.
I've owned from deuce to hemtt and not a one of them has cost me a first born child lol. It's not the cheapest hobby but also not the most expensive one. Buy a helicopter or a plane then you better have some cash. Find a truck that looks good and not beaten to ****.
I really hate the filters, if didn't have so many dam pu$$ys in this world we'd be far better off.
Hehehe, id hope if youre not comfortable handling a naughty word or two that youd stay away from handling a 5ton machine.

Thanks again for all the replies guys. I'll keep looking and doing research. So far im still pretty determined to get the M934 since im thinking getting work done on it / service wont be a more than at least 5k a year. (is that a fair estimate or am i crazy?)

Nomadic

No matter which version of 5ton you look at the mileage and hours can really play a big part in how much u expected maintenance you'll have. I bought with fairly low numbers, lower than I had found on GL, and it has done me good. Some of my repairs are because of the rough roads I live and drive on, but they haven't been bad at all for cost since I do everything myself.
I'm looking to get a M934A2 when I grow up. That truck or the smaller LMTV van truck. The M934 is big and mean. What repairs have you done on yours?

Mos68x

Fuel line left the truck stranded for a couple days while patched up a repair till I can replace it with J844 line. Fixed the fuel gauge, just a sink instead of a float. Still finishing the tires, working on the last one that I have an o-ring for right now. Still have a fan clutch rebuild to do and a few other small things, but nothing major.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alice you and your soaking wet 120lbs can service the truck.
It's tires and hubs you would need help with.
And I haven't spent 5 grand on any of my trucks in a year including fuel.
Like I said get a decent truck up front and just take care of it.
Don't pay these nay Sayers any attention.

H ell I need help with tires and hubs lol.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Alice you and your soaking wet 120lbs can service the truck.
It's tires and hubs you would need help with.
Don't pay these nay Sayers any attention.

H ell I need help with tires and hubs lol.
I spent 5 grand in fuel on mine in the past 3 months if that counts?

They aren't hard to work on or need much help with things needing replaced. You can carry all the tools you basically need in 3 ammo cans. I do it all the time and I log around 1,500 miles every week at the minimum. Take care of the truck and they will take care of you.

Alice

I'm looking to get a M934A2 when I grow up. That truck or the smaller LMTV van truck. The M934 is big and mean. What repairs have you done on yours?
EXACTLY the one i want too.
I wanted something like a box truck and when i saw this one i was sold instantly.

:D You have no idea how reassuring this is! Both in cost and confidence. Thank you!! I love these trucks so much i cant wait for them to be a part of my own life. So far ive found a guy in Colorado Supply Company who i think has about 3 of the M934A2 trucks i like. Hoping to get in contact with them in the next few days.

Last edited:

Alice

I spent 5 grand in fuel on mine in the past 3 months if that counts?
They aren't hard to work on or need much help with things needing replaced. You can carry all the tools you basically need in 3 ammo cans. I do it all the time and I log around 1,500 miles every week at the minimum. Take care of the truck and they will take care of you.
Wow thats a lot more driving than id be doing. I just have to make my way through the US slowly once a year. No more than around 3,500 miles in a year (4,000 tops).

Which one of your truck do you make the trips with?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wow thats a lot more driving than id be doing. I just have to make my way through the US slowly once a year. No more than around 3,500 miles in a year (4,000 tops).

Which one of your truck do you make the trips with?
923A1. Towing an M322 trailer always 40,000 to 65,000lbs. Averages 5.3mpg loaded to 7.3mpg with an empty trailer. Loaded mileage dropped a little when I switched to 395s but I also have the heavy run flats so that's some lag. I just did Memphis, Ft. Campbell, Atlanta, Charlotte, Ft. Bragg, Charlotte, then back to Memphis this past Thurs.Fri.Sat.Sun.

I am approaching putting on 60,000 miles since July 2016. I will publish my report in a few weeks.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get an A2 with the super single tires bear in mind the tires with rims weigh right at 500 pounds each. You will not be changing tires on the side of the road without a service truck and technician...
I've always had much respect your opinion wreckerman, but I'm having trouble understanding this statement???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks