• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AM General registration/insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

billystuart

HELP. New guy here. How does a person go about getting insurance on a AM General M35A2C? No body seems to know what it is. They also ask for a vin. Of course AM General says they don't use vin.

AceHigh

It will have a VIN somewhere. If it is not on the dashboard data plates it is stamped on the frame near the front wheel. It should be in two places, a data plate on the dash and on the left front frame rail (on the outside of the rail, under the fender). You might have to do some scraping to find it.

Insurance varies from state to state. I have State Farm. Lots of threads on this.

Last edited:

Capt.Marion

Serial Number for the VIN. Otherwise, it's a 19XX (year) AM General M35A2C pickup truck. I have mine registered as an antique. SC should be pretty similar to GA.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It depends on how you are going to use it...if it is going to be used as a work truck go commercial or farm insurance.
If it will be for show and as an antique vehicle go with one of the hobby insurance companies. Your use will be limited by their restrictions. Some of them require you have an enclosed storage space and you will have to send pics to them.
I have had both.....commercial is more expensive but you can do whatever you want with the vehicle.

Jimma

It was not hard to register or get insurance

I contacted Haggarty insurance and got collector insurance on my M35A2. Did the application on the internet and finalized it on the phone to speed up my coverage. They knew what the vehicle was and insurance was about $120 a year with no mileage restriction. I went to the tag office in GA with the title in hand and they looked at it and said what exactly is it? I said its an old military truck and I need an antique tag. They said okay, no problem and about $38 later I was leaving. No problems and in about 5 minutes I was out the door. Just keep it simple and you wont have any problems.

dburd72

I live in ny just went thru this wed. insured it thru geico commerical but the state would not issue a reg unless i had a cdl . so now i went thru gulfway insurance in fl no indoor storage neccary no cdl

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got farm insurance through TN Farm Bureau. No restrictions. I checked on antique/collector insurance and while it was cheaper, I didn't want to be limited on what I could haul.

SpyDad

Insurance for Deuce

HELP. New guy here. How does a person go about getting insurance on a AM General M35A2C? No body seems to know what it is. They also ask for a vin. Of course AM General says they don't use vin.

From one noob to another, I recently got my first deuce and could not title it in Missouri until I had proof of insurance and evidence of an ID/OD inspection at a state approved safety inspection facility (aka tire shop). I looked into Hagerty - Collector Car and Boat Insurance

Hagerty is one of those antique insurance companies that requires the vehicle be stored in an enclosed garage, so I did not go with them because I cannot garage my deuce.

I finally got insurance through SAFECO (liability and comp with $1,000 deduct) for about $15.00 a month (roughly around $160 for the year). Once I get the new title I am going to apply/register it as a historic vehicle which might drop it lower because it has limitations of not driving more than 1,000 per year.

My title had the VIN number that match the identification plate found on the dash above the glove box. It is registered as just a truck.

Hope this helps. 8)

I told my insurance company (I already own a medium duty truck) that it is a 1987 AM General flatbed truck, 23k gvwr. about 400 a year with no restrictions.

The tag office, I went "former military vehicle" for about $50 for 5 years. No tags necessary which obviously varies by state. I'm restricted with what I can haul under that guise but it's OK because until I go over and under it and repair leaks/inspect brakes I won't be hauling anything in it. Then I have the option of registering it as a meduim duty commercial type truck using the "VIN" from the data plate.

Good luck in SC!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For SC, where I am, you will wind up with probably collector insurance and commercial plates. Unless it's already converted into a mobile home, the state will license it as a commercial truck because of the weight being over 10K. But, because of that, you want to insist on the clerk looking at the empty weight, not the max loaded weight. The difference is about $90 a year on the tags.2cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks