• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Am I better off buying from GL or private seller?

Sverige

I would like to know if I'm better off buying a CUCV from GL or a private seller. Any insight from experienced buyers would be appreciated.

markmontana

You're always better buying something that you can get into and test drive. Where ever that may be... but usually not at GL.

Personally- I like the rush I get from buying unknown stuff from GL-- and seeing if I can make it home.

Lextreme

You will be taking a HUGE chance with GL. I rather pay little more and see it, touch it, hear it, feel it and even taste it. GL purchase would be a money pit..... Secondly, private purchase most likely taken care of paper work and registration already. I would go with private. The money you saved from GL is just not worth the hassle, headache, stress and delay. Don't forget to factor in your travel fee. Some location that u have to take a plane, hotel, car rental, local diesel shop if it is not running and don't forget towing.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'll roll the dice on Deuces and 5 tons on GL. CUCV's I'd only buy from GL as a parts truck.

I bought my truck from General Jim's Surplus in Clare MI. It was a good experience as they have a mechanic go over them. New batteries, glow plugs, starter relay etc etc.

86M10086.2L

I went with a private sale my first few times. I wasn't ready to, nor did I have the resources to pick up or haul a truck back from a GL site. Being 2 CUCVs deep and Knowing why I know now. I would try a GL adventure.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Budget, capabilities, expectations, tools & equipment, patience....

All factors you left out, to help you make a decision.

Knowing nothing about you leaves me with this advice. You'd be better of not buying a CUCV at all.

GL trucks will usually be cheaper but if you don't go and inspect before purchase, you won't know what your getting or what it will take to get running.

From a private party you can usually test drive and check it out real good.

Depending on the distance you could have shipping on either.

I went private party also for my first CUCV.

2002ford

Personally, I like the rush from buying from GL or GSA. I havent been let down by either one of them. I have had some fun road trips that just makes it worth while.

I also have the means to tow all my vehicles though. I have never treid to drive one straight of the lot.

Good luck.

CycleJay

Hello Sverige,

I went with private.
Because it was just across town, I was able to see it, inspect it, discuss it, test drive it, etc.
Before making the decision to aquire it. I even went home to "sleep on it", after checking it out, before making the decision to get it.

I have not done GL or GSA yet, but I have read it is a gamble. You do'nt know what you
are going to get. Or at least not 100% sure about the condition that it is in.

If I were you, or if I got another MV, I would go with private again, and skip GL.

Good night, and good luck.. either way...

Just my $2cents

toddm

I bought my M1009 from GL, even though I previewed it and it started and ran, you really never know what you are getting. Luckilly It drove and shifted and stopped just fine. But you never know, I rolled the dice and won. My Deuce I bought from a private seller, I was new to MV's and felt a lot better being able to drive it first. I have owned it for over 5 years and have not been left stranded yet. It helps that I am the mechanic for my truck and know it very well now.

Attachments

billwhip

like doghead said "Budget, capabilities, expectations, tools & equipment, patience...." with the addition of balls (or lack of brains)...
I've driven off m35a3 Eastover SC and swung by Ft Riley KS (to pick up 3-m105a2s and a mep003) on the way back to Magnolia TX (Houston) without issue... great trip…
That’s not always the case - last month I picked up my m932a2 from Nellis NV - 4 batteries out of the gate (no surprise), but then had a blowout 50 miles in with a good spare but no jack/tools ($200 for a service), and then 200 mile later lost the water pump... back on the road the next day and went the rest of the way without issue... even with the heavy wrecker at midnight (not cheap) and the new retail water pump - plus rest of the recovery expenses – I honestly think I still have less in this truck than I could buy it for retail – but it’s close…
the way I see it I'm still ahead in every category - on spend, experience, and _especially_ the fun... :D

billwhip

like doghead said "Budget, capabilities, expectations, tools & equipment, patience...." with the addition of balls (or lack of brains)...

I drove my m35a3 from Eastover SC and even swung by Ft Riley KS (to pick up 3-m105a2s and a mep003) on the way back to Magnolia TX (Houston) without issue... great trip…

That’s not always the case - last month I picked up my m932a2 from Nellis NV - 4 batteries out of the gate (no surprise), but then had a blowout 50 miles in with a good spare but no jack/tools ($200 for a service), and then 200 mile later lost the water pump... back on the road the next day and went the rest of the way without issue... even with the heavy wrecker at midnight (not cheap) and the new retail water pump - plus rest of the recovery expenses – I honestly think I still have less in this truck than I could buy it for retail – but it’s close…

the way I see it I'm still ahead in every category - on spend, experience, and _especially_ the fun... :D

L1A1

Subscribed:popcorn:

Always kind of wondered about this myself although it was with the larger 2.5 & 5 ton trucks.
Matt

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok let's lay it out like this.

If you want to buy from GL and GSA...

1. Do you have time to pre-inspect? If not, are you a gambling person or can you bid with a mindset of a limit/worse case scenario?

2. If you're ok with the first question, are you ok with GL items requiring an EUC? What's an EUC you say, it's a "background check" done on you to purchase the item before it's released. If you bid and win on a EUC item, are you able and willing to pay the FULL purchase amount at the end of the auction and wait several weeks/months until you can pick it up? (Remember, your item is sitting there in the elements and possibility of theft)

3. If you're ok with the EUC process, are you able to roll when the EUC is approved? (Also are you able to roll when you bid on an auction) You have 10 days to remove your items before you forfeit your item.

4. Are you planning on driving the vehicle home? Are you certain it's road worthy? Are you legal? (Tag/Insurance) DON'T expect even vehicles listed as "running" to be road worthy. Have you also planned on having it hauled?

5. Are you able to turn wrenches? These vehicles haven't had the greatest life...

Now going to private sales....

1. Do you have cash? Won't find many people that will take plastic. Forget getting a loan from a bank too most likely...

2. Do you have basic automotive knowledge to check out the vehicle? (Not just a test drive)

3. Does the seller have any paperwork needed for you to register the vehicle? At least with GL/GSA you can get a SF97.

4. Are you willing to trade work for costs? Yes it's true private party vehicles cost more. But typically they're ready to drive. It's a trade off really.

Now in both cases....

Have you read the TMs?

DXTAC

GL IF you can go see the vehicle. In Sparta, WI you can fire em up when they "look the other way" of course. Mine was from a private seller and my dad's was from GL. His had MANY more new parts than mine. We were able to look at them and create a priority list and he got the one he wanted.

Good Luck!!

MarcusOReallyus

DON'T expect even vehicles listed as "running" to be road worthy. Have you also planned on having it hauled?
Yep. BIG yep.

Mine had a video showing it being driven. I could hear the engine. All seemed well.

Got there, did paperwork, and found I needed a jump start.

No big deal, but the batteries were probably toast. If I needed to stop for fuel before going home, I'd need a 24v jump start at some gas station. How likely is that?

Oh, then I found it wouldn't shift properly. Could not get out of first until pretty high RPMs. Not going on a 60 mile road trip like that! Not on The Beltway!

Oh, then it threw the alternator belt for Gen2.

Came back the next day with a trailer. Not a problem, just a hassle.

Does that work for you?

toddm

I never intended on driving my 1009 home, I knew the tires were dry rotted and who knows what else could be wrong. The $300 to have it trailered home was money well spent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks