• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Am i expecting too much , or right on target

Carlo

My M35A2 sets for months at a time and even a year. Touch the starter button and she fires. These old trucks can take allot. I have never abused it though. Good maintenance.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One thing that made mine more enjoyable besides the 11X20's was to add new seats. I used springer bottoms with the HMMWV high backs seats, there are many options out there.
seatmod 003.jpg seatmod 004.jpg

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3 capable of pulling cars and trucks out of ditches in the winter , and assisting in recovering the backhoe when it gets stuck in the mud
You will not find a better wood hauler! However, I have operated backhoes for years, and in my experience, if you get it stuck to the point that you can't get yourself out with the hoe and bucket, I'm not sure the deuce will help you. Good luck with it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You have a realistic expectation for the deuce. Pulling out the backhoe depends on just how deep it's stuck.
Indeed! My bobber tried to pull out the roofer's dump truck after he busted through our septic tank (ugh). But all it did was spin even in 4x4. I pulled the normal deuce over (on 46s though) and it pulled it out without a wimper. I didn't even know it was back there. When it comes to a dead weight pull, it's all about traction. But even then, if it's buried, don't expect it to just pluck stuff right out.

iatractor

M35A2's are a very capable truck, just don't abuse it and remember, even though parts can be big and heavy, they can be man-handled better than some of the bigger truck parts. Putting 2 or 3 9.00x20 tires and rims in your pickup won't overload it, nor take up every bit of space that a single tire from a 900 series might. While it is better to have two people handle some things, one can do it if needed.

61sleepercab

A M35a2 with a winch and some snatch blocks can move all kind of stuff. My International R-162 with gear driven winch has pulled cars, loaded dead dozers and pulled downed trees with ease. You may want to add some kind of locking differentials as open axles will only power one side of the axle so really a 6x6 is a 3x3 when things are slick. I have heard that NDT military tires are not the best in mud or snow. .... Remember these trucks are 40 year old technology made for off road/unimproved roads and they are not made to operate at high speeds. Newer trucks are quicker to drive but can never do the work the old Deuce can do without breaking a sweat.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is tough to figure out but I believe he already has a Deuce. He isn't asking ahead of time, it's after the fact.

Had me confused too.

orrisd4

Sorry to have confused you guy, yes i already have the truck , a '68 kaiser jeep w/w, i already have her running and am working on all her issues , i just keep reading on here , and half of it contradicts the other half .
i just wanted to make sure i wasnt being unrealistic in my goal , you people have been invaluable in that, so thank you all.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to have confused you guy, yes i already have the truck , a '68 kaiser jeep w/w, i already have her running and am working on all her issues , i just keep reading on here , and half of it contradicts the other half .
i just wanted to make sure i wasnt being unrealistic in my goal , you people have been invaluable in that, so thank you all.

Contradicts? You must realize that is exactly why we have rules and work to police the misinformation that runs rampant on the rest of the Internet. One only has to look at any thread with registration, insurance, CDL, or GL in the discussions to see that there is incorrect and yes, even downright illegal advice being given.

Capitalization?

Dipstick

ok , i need a bare, honest answer from you guys.
am i expecting too much from the deuce,

1,i want a truck that will run on all but anything remotely petroleum based
2 capable of pulling idiot relatives out of ditches when they decide drinking a 30 pack of bud light and trying to drive is not retarded.
3 capable of pulling cars and trucks out of ditches in the winter , and assisting in recovering the backhoe when it gets stuck in the mud
4 capable of driving at sane speed on pavement ( for those of us in pa you know i'm being generous calling the roads in the commonwealth pavement) basically 45-55 since that's about all the safer it is to go around here anyway

5 haul about 5x the capacity of my 87 chevy 3/4 ton when firewood season comes around
6 able to handle going miles off road and possible driving over small trees to get to the wood cutting site

7 be the biggest most impressive thing one is likely to see going down RT-75

other,

i want to run it with 10 11.00x20 instead of the 9.00x20's i know the 11.00's will fit on the rim am i going to run into clearance issues running in dual dully configuration?( with all the back and forth the search function on this site is worthless on that one)

Edit: one other thing if anyone could cut through through all the garbage search results and point me to where in the TM i can find the procedure to change the brakes on this beast id be grateful
I run 11R-20s on my bobber. Firestone T-831s. Stock rims. No problems. 85psi on the steers and 55psi on the rears. My duals do not touch and my truck drives great....for a Deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks