• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Am I missing something on the transmission

SixSpeed

Banned
That is a plug for the bell housing when fording deep water. See the plug just "above" (in the photo)? That plug is removed from the holder position and inserted into the hole for fording.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a plug for the bell housing when fording deep water. See the plug just "above" (in the photo)? That plug is removed from the holder position and inserted into the hole for fording.
DITTO x 2

Preacherboy

sorry, the search function here isn't very good. I did search, I typed in "transmission plug" I got page after page of threads that mention transmission or plug. I looked for awhile and couldn't find anything.

It would help if the search function didn't search for each word independantly and if you could only search threads that mention both "transmission and plug". When you go to google and put quotes around words it will only search for those words in that order. SS search does not do that.

I understand the guys who have been on here forever get annoyed at the same "dumb questions" from newbies and it can annoy me too when I just read a thread about it, but I did do a search first. I wouldn't have taken the time to crawl under the truck and take that picture without searching first.

But anyway, I still appreciate you posting the link to the answer!

Preacherboy

There is just lots of "wet" spots underneath a deuce and I want to make sure that I do not have any major leaks, but after sitting for who knows how long and then driving 550 miles it will probably develop some leaks.

Thanks guys!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you do a search try to be as specific as you can. If you search bellhousing plug for example, there's a few out of the first ten that give the answer or at least clues.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
sorry, the search function here isn't very good. I did search, I typed in "transmission plug" I got page after page of threads that mention transmission or plug. I looked for awhile and couldn't find anything.

It would help if the search function didn't search for each word independantly and if you could only search threads that mention both "transmission and plug". When you go to google and put quotes around words it will only search for those words in that order. SS search does not do that.

I understand the guys who have been on here forever get annoyed at the same "dumb questions" from newbies and it can annoy me too when I just read a thread about it, but I did do a search first. I wouldn't have taken the time to crawl under the truck and take that picture without searching first.

But anyway, I still appreciate you posting the link to the answer!
You can force the search to look for multiple words in a single thread.......

Your search query should have been "transmission AND plug". That being said I would have done a search for "bellhousing AND plug"-I'll bet your transmission plug search netted a bunch of threads discussing transmission fluid level, didn't it?

I had iffy result with search when I got here. Then I just started at the very last page of the deuce forum and started reading my way forward. It took a few weeks but once I did that, my search capabilties magically improved.

When clintogf started hassling me about getting an M816, I went through the entire 5 ton forum front to back. It's a good learning experience.

Also, it hasn't been mentioned but I am 99% sure the operator's manual clearly explains the 2 plug holes but only one plug situation.

Last edited:

dozer1

Thanks for taking the heat on that one Preacherboy. I could have had the same question if I ever get my deuce
(still waiting on pif from 5073) I know you got your truck from that event. I must be one of the last ones waiting.
Anyway keep up the newbie questions so I wont have too.:wink::lol:

Preacherboy

If yours is lot 5061 painted across the front of the hood is "does not start with slave" or something to that effect, mine said "slave starts", that is what I did and it fired right up! Mine had dead batteries, just put 2 new ones in Monday.

dozer1

If yours is lot 5061 painted across the front of the hood is "does not start with slave" or something to that effect, mine said "slave starts", that is what I did and it fired right up! Mine had dead batteries, just put 2 new ones in Monday.
Nope thats not mine. I believe my truck is at a different base, but still the same gl event

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine leaked about 1 quart every 1000 miles, mostly seepage from the valve cover running down the front of the engine and being blown all over the place and finally making drips there at the bellhousing. This is known as the automatic anti-rust system. It did cause worry until i cleaned the engine and then found where it began to get dirty again. Also, running 55MPh for 10 hours at a time will cause a little spew from the crankcase ventilation tube.

Heavysteven

You should be more specific on what is leaking. Brake fuild, coolant, fuel, oil, gear lube.

I pressure washed my truck. Common sense on the engine though cover up the intakes and no need to blast water into the intakes or blast off pieces.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks