• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ambac M-50 Rebuild w/ pics (MEP-003A)

TurboStreetCar

Hello, it seems i have a fuel leak from the throttle control rod of the pump on my 002a.

I read somewhere that the control mechanism isn't supposed to be serviceable, but you can use a welder to take it apart.

Is there a simple o-ring that can be replaced on the control shaft that doesn't require breaking the assembly down? Or is the o-ring that seals it internal to the mechanism, and would require disassembly?

jamawieb

Hello, it seems i have a fuel leak from the throttle control rod of the pump on my 002a.

I read somewhere that the control mechanism isn't supposed to be serviceable, but you can use a welder to take it apart.

Is there a simple o-ring that can be replaced on the control shaft that doesn't require breaking the assembly down? Or is the o-ring that seals it internal to the mechanism, and would require disassembly?
It is an oring. You pull the throttle linkage out and replace the small oring. It can sometimes be a pain to get it aligned correctly with reassembly.

Guyfang

Staff member

Where did you read that its not serviceable? Simply not true. And a welder? I would like to see this. What you should do is start a thread in the generator form, and get some good information.

TurboStreetCar

Where did you read that its not serviceable? Simply not true. And a welder? I would like to see this. What you should do is start a thread in the generator form, and get some good information.

Was in this thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/mep-002a-injection-pump-disassembly-repair.199226/

Post #5

"....The throttle assembly is tack welded closed and not meant to be serviced, just replaced, but if you have a tig or mig welder it can be opened up, replace the internal o-ring and tack it shut again, but if not leaking just leave it be....."

Seems ill have to pull the pump to fix the leak, so i kinda feel like i should replace any seals gaskets while im in there, But also dont want to open a can of worms. Generator runs fine as is, Just noticed the fuel leak when doing an oil change.

Ray70

Hold on a second folks.... He is correct, the throttle control is considered non-serviceable but can indeed be fixed with a welder!
So, the assembly ( which can still be purchased if you can find it ) CU4514A has an internal o-ring which is the one that usually leaks, because that is the one that is actively sealing the moving throttle shaft.
The other o-ring around the outside is static and almost NEVER fails.
If you want to try to fix your existing control unit, grind the small tack weld off that secures the outer lever to the center shaft, this will allow you to separate the inner shaft from the outer tube.
there's an o-ring in the inner shaft, that's the one that is prone to leaking over time.

TurboStreetCar

Hold on a second folks.... He is correct, the throttle control is considered non-serviceable but can indeed be fixed with a welder!
So, the assembly ( which can still be purchased if you can find it ) CU4514A has an internal o-ring which is the one that usually leaks, because that is the one that is actively sealing the moving throttle shaft.
The other o-ring around the outside is static and almost NEVER fails.
If you want to try to fix your existing control unit, grind the small tack weld off that secures the outer lever to the center shaft, this will allow you to separate the inner shaft from the outer tube.
there's an o-ring in the inner shaft, that's the one that is prone to leaking over time.

Is the GA 1085 O-ring the internal oring? Or is that the static external one youre reffering to?

1715092648376.png

I do CNC machine work and fabrication on the side, so tack welding the lever to the shaft shouldnt be an issue.

Just want to have all the parts ready for when i pull the pump.

Very appreciative to this forum, The quick responses bring my back to the late 2000's when car forums were in full swing!

Ray70

GA 1085 is the external one. They don't list the internal because it's part of CU8514A
You'll have to separate the 2 halves of the assy. and see what size o-ring fits in there correctly.
If you have any trouble finding one locally I often use:
Open it up, replace the o-ring and tack it back together.
BUT, better yet, check this out!

Ray70

Just drop it in and go! Only thing is you have to remove the IP to swap the control unit so make sure you set the engine on the #1 compression stroke's PC mark, remove the IP with a 1/8" drill bit inserted into the side hole, then reinstall in reverse after swapping the control unit.
Nothing else to adjust to anything, as long as you follow the TM directions on removing and installing the IP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks