• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

amber headlights

sandcobra164

Amber or yellowish headlights on a truck are often an attempt to recreate a "Gun Truck". Do a little reading in that subforum and you'll learn some rich history of some of these trucks. I'll sum it up by saying, alot of Gun Trucks had yellow lights and yellow marking across the nose so that they were readily identifiable from the air during the Vietnam War.

jw4x4

It wasn't only the gun trucks that had yellow markings. I read that different units had every vehicle "marked" for easier identification. There are threads out there. Some of the amber headlights were clear to begin with, then fitted with amber film or even painted.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some good reading in the threads listed below(similar threads).

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The yellow lights were used in Europe to keep the glare down when there was snow on the ground and roads.

I put a lot of miles on deuces over there in the 70's and remember being on the Autobahn with hundreds of other vehicles (civy and military) that had yellow headlights.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yellow headlights are very popular in France and some other European countries because they cut down the glare from oncoming traffic. A lot of U.S. Army vehicles in France had yellow headlights, especially larger trucks. In December 1966 Charles DeGaulle ordered all U.S. troops out of France, as well as all other NATO troops. Most of the Deuces and 5-tons went to Germany. Yellow sealed beams were left in those trucks. I never saw a deuce in Germany with yellow headlights that didn't come originally from a unit in France, but that doesn't mean there weren't some.. In the battalion I was in, about 1/4 of the trucks had yellow headlights, but all newly delivered vehicles to our unit had standard sealed beams.

stb64

Amber or yellow headlights are, and always were, illegal in all european countries, except france, where they used to be mandatory.
In order to pass technical inspections, yellow headlights must be removed, and white ones installed. (You may get away with yellow headlights if they were original to the vehicle, and you register it as historical.)
This does not apply to foglights.
Foglights may be white OR yellow, and can be used with the regular headlights off.
When you look closely at pediod vietnam photos, you will notice that most yellow headlights are just regular white ones with the top half painted yellow.

InfiniteFoamies

Good Thing I am not in europe, however I planned on going the historical route and mine did come with them, also mine are not just the top half. based on looking at them I believe it is not just a coating. Do you know an answer to my question? I need a replacement because when I got my Deuce one of the lamps camp with a chunk missing.

stb64

InfiniteFoamies:
Bad thing i am in europe. This place is getting worse every day, legislationwise, but that's where i'm stuck.
For the top half of the headlights beeing painted yellow, i was talking about vietnam period pictures.
I am not saying there are no yellow headlights. If you can find the manufacturer name on the lamp, you could just try to order it from them. if there is no mfr's name on it, look for a part number, NSN, or manufacturer code. If it is a military part, they should be on it somewhere. Many people on steelsoldiers (me included) can find out who makes the part with these numbers, as long as the part is still in the supply system.

Lindsaym151

You can get Stained glass paint at most hobby shops! the correct color will be Marigold!
About 4.00 dollars a bottle, you can brush or spray it on.

Lindsaym151

I have full amber on my 151a2 and half on my deuce ,I find no difference . Also with the Paint all you have to do to remove it is hit it with a power washer!