• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ambulance accessory plug

So I have done a ton of reading but I can’t find the answer. There is a 24v plug in the rear of the ambulance (as well as the environmental control panel) and I was wondering if it is possible to hook a solar panel to it to charge the batteries or run some lights? Or can I hook a generator to it? So is it only for accessories to be powered from the ambulance?

Attachments

AAVP7

If I remember correctly, the two outlets in the ambulance rear compartment are fed by the fuse box at the bulkhead. I think they are fused with a 20 A fuse, but I´m sure if it was 20A each or 20 A for both of them.
From the fuse box, they are connected directly to the 24V on the vehicle batteries, so running some 24 volt lights should work.

Regarding charging via those outlets, it´s the same as charging via the NATO plug: Charging two 12 V batteries in series will only work well if they have very similar resistances, otherwise you charge them into an unbalance. Now you have an M997A2, so most probably the 200A dual voltage alternator. If you run that from time to time, it should equalize most unbalanced battery states that might develop.

I got the manufacturer for the plugs somewhere, so if you don´t have that, I can look it up.

If I remember correctly, the two outlets in the ambulance rear compartment are fed by the fuse box at the bulkhead. I think they are fused with a 20 A fuse, but I´m sure if it was 20A each or 20 A for both of them.
From the fuse box, they are connected directly to the 24V on the vehicle batteries, so running some 24 volt lights should work.

Regarding charging via those outlets, it´s the same as charging via the NATO plug: Charging two 12 V batteries in series will only work well if they have very similar resistances, otherwise you charge them into an unbalance. Now you have an M997A2, so most probably the 200A dual voltage alternator. If you run that from time to time, it should equalize most unbalanced battery states that might develop.

I got the manufacturer for the plugs somewhere, so if you don´t have that, I can look it up.
Any information you have would be appreciated. I am digging through the manuals but as you know there is a TON of info to get through. I will obviously be driving the ambulance and thereby using the 200A dual generator but I was thinking more about charging it with my solar panel while camping and stationary for a few days. I have a 100w panel with a MPPT built in and just want the option. Don’t plan on making it my primary method.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If going through the plug, it likely doesn't have a center tap for the 12V feed, so it would NOT keep the batteries balanced.
Easy enough to do with a battery balancer though.

If going through the plug, it likely doesn't have a center tap for the 12V feed, so it would NOT keep the batteries balanced.
is there one you would recommend that is heavy duty? I am a novice with wiring and am learning as I go. Though I did figure out that the rear Hubbell plug was wired backwards. Now my RAK15 works at both plugs!

AAVP7

Oh, yes, maybe I didn´t make that clear. No chance to balance through the outlet. It seems to have three poles, but the two outer ones are connnected, with the center used for ground probably. So just +24 V and ground at that outlet.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
is there one you would recommend that is heavy duty? I am a novice with wiring and am learning as I go. Though I did figure out that the rear Hubbell plug was wired backwards. Now my RAK15 works at both plugs!
For balancing a 24V bank of 2 12V batteries, I'd recommend the balancer from Victron. All it really does is place a slight load on whichever battery is higher voltage in order to balance them out. It only does up to 1 amp, so you can't use it to draw 12V loads off of one battery and still have everything stay balanced. For that you'd want a 24-12V converter which Victron also makes

edit: It also doesn't turn on until it sees 27V, so it won't drain your batteries when not in use.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are light weight slave connectors out there, you may have to change one end. I picked this a few years back.
View attachment 911622 View attachment 911623
Just saw something similar on line 30 Ft for $60
That's the cable I'm using with an adapter for my RAK15 or my chinese diesel heater when camping. It's rated for 15 amps power. I believe it's designed to be used with a battery or radio charger.

That's the cable I'm using with an adapter for my RAK15 or my chinese diesel heater when camping. It's rated for 15 amps power. I believe it's designed to be used with a battery or radio charger.
Mine was for some battery charger. My concern is that the wiring may not be up to spec for my RAK15.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was for some battery charger. My concern is that the wiring may not be up to spec for my RAK15.
I have yet to have an issue with mine.
There should be a 15 amp fuse in the nato plug portion of it that will, in theory, blow before any other issues occur.
RAK15 is rated at 15 amps, so it is a little close, but as I said, no issues with mine yet, including having it operate while playing out on the jeep trails.

Southerneze

There are light weight slave connectors out there, you may have to change one end. I picked this a few years back.
View attachment 911622 View attachment 911623
Just saw something similar on line 30 Ft for $60

Jump another vehicle off with this? 😂
Wouldn't last long would it! I use it for MRE heater or 24 volt drop light on camping trips. Not sure if it will handle a 20 amp solar panel but as Coug said it is fused at 15 amp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks