• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

American Coleman Tug

MatthewH

Need some info/help on a 1981 American Coleman Tug. Mainly we're looking for a manual for said tug, along with identifying a throttle/linkage part.

We're having a problem with the throttle linkage, mainly it has no return, you have to manually pull the pedel back to idle. We replaced a broken spring, but it didn't help. I did find a small diameter, short hydro like cylinder that pins to a slotted bracket that pins to the throttle linkage assembly on the drivers side. The confusing part is said cylinder is part of a cable looking assembly that snakes its way down to the side of the trans.

Sorry for the poor description, and no, I didn't get a pic of the sylinder, just the box on the side of the trans, my camera died and the tugs parked 3 hours away at 196thProber's house.

Any help is appreciated. I do have the info from the data plates, but can't seem to locate a manual of any kind.

It does have 4 wheel steer, the front steers by the wheel, and the rear by a set of hydro controls, similar to an old Sno-Commander/

Tractor, wheeled, Industrial Aircraft Towing Type MB-4

Model: G40-H
Control # FO 9603-78-C-1704
Serial Number: 58100420
Capacity: 140,000 LB Aircraft
Date MFD.: 9/81
Ship WT: 11,000 lbs
Code Ident. No.: 96606
Draw Bar: 10,000 lbs

Manufactured by the American Coleman Co., Littleton, Colorado
Engine: Allis Chalmers Turbo DIesel
‘A2’ casted on the front of the block
SN: 33-09200
Model: 433 T

On Right side, Fuel injector pump; Stanadyne # DB2437JT3725.
100HP, 2400 RPM

Attachments

196thprober

Yes, they are; I get hit in the leg/knee with the bar, but it doesn't matter, the thing is awesome! We just need to get the accelerator pedal return problem figured out and a manual for immediate needs/getting things right that we can.

Sounds like you spent some time on one and enjoyed it.

Bighurt

I've driven every MB-4 since the Coleman was in AD, Eagle, PSI, Entwistle, Wollard. My favorite is still the Entwistle but a lot of the attributes of the Coleman are the same. The plus on the Coleman was the rear bar control. All the others have linked hydraulic steering, the front and the rear turn at the same rate. The Coleman is independent, making it harder on the unskilled operator, hence it's demise. However in the hands of a skilled operator, there isn't much you can't do.

Sadly as a civilian I don't have a need for an MB-4.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Are you sure the throttle pivot is free? I had a vehicle where I had to punch the pin of the hinge out, in order to free the hinge up. My peddle would stick to the floor too.

MatthewH

Are you sure the throttle pivot is free? I had a vehicle where I had to punch the pin of the hinge out, in order to free the hinge up. My peddle would stick to the floor too.
Yep, its free, it just acts like there is no return spring on it. We replaced a broken spring that I thought was the problem, and when that didn't work I looked over the linkage setup and found that shock looking thing. If all else fails, I'll add a spring on the opposite side to help return the pedel. The biggest problem I noticed was the linkage itself. Its a series of piviot points and metal rods, instead of a cable, so there is some extra movement throughout that a cable would elimanate.

196thprober

Bumping this in case ANYONE has a connection/advice for getting info/Operators/Maintenance manual/parts source/etc-Have run inoto a lot of dead ends- made 2 'contact us' website inquiries from places that claim to have parts (Allis Chalmers 200 CID Diesel T433 Engine, 10 days ago; gave them all the info- and neither of them even responded to me. Can't find anything taht leads me to info/parts for 'American Coleman Tug' but keep in mind I'm challenged computer/website wise.

Needle

TM 55-1740-200-14. (I think....I am at work and I am trying to remember number off top of head.) Currently working on an MB-4 V8 gas engine.

196thprober

TM 55-1740-200-14. (I think....I am at work and I am trying to remember number off top of head.) Currently working on an MB-4 V8 gas engine.
If you could confirm that for me whenever you get a chance I'd REALLY appreciate it; thanks needle! Oh by the way, any idea in the world where i might be able to find that rascal?

Last edited:

Needle

196thprober...PM me your email address and I will send you a pdf copy of the manual I have. (My memory is not as bad as I thought...I was correct with 55-1740-200-14. )

Although I am working on a 318ci V8 version of the tug, the copy of the manual I have is for the 6 cylinder flat head and is dated 1970. It does contain a lot of info related to the tug systems, maintenance and includes part numbers, so apart from engine details it has been very useful. However, I have seen other versions of the same manual which are more upto date and included the 318 gas V8 and the diesel engined version... I will try and see if I can locate them as well.

196thprober

196thprober...PM me your email address and I will send you a pdf copy of the manual I have. (My memory is not as bad as I thought...I was correct with 55-1740-200-14. )

Although I am working on a 318ci V8 version of the tug, the copy of the manual I have is for the 6 cylinder flat head and is dated 1970. It does contain a lot of info related to the tug systems, maintenance and includes part numbers, so apart from engine details it has been very useful. However, I have seen other versions of the same manual which are more upto date and included the 318 gas V8 and the diesel engined version... I will try and see if I can locate them as well.

Done; THANK YOU!

Needle

Chuck. Tech Manual sent to the email address supplied via PM. Good luck. Let me know if you need any help locating specific parts, and, if I can't help, I will see if any of my contacts can.

This evening I finished fixing some issues on the MB4 I have been working on. (Finished changing brake master cylinder, replaced mechanical fuel pump with an electric one, fixed leak in air tank valves, and sorted out an "intermittant electrical problem). It ran, and stopped, pretty well. I still need to do some "fine" tuning, and then possibly start on "cosmetics", but it should be good enough to move some WWII bombers around tomorrow.

Its amazing how much satisfaction you can get restoring something back to operational status, expecially those items that didn't get very much tlc or recognition during or after their "active service".

Needle.

Needle

Chuck, Matt,
The diesel engine in th early 80s MB4, was the same 4 cyl, 433T turbocharged 200cid engine used in the Allis Chalmer 6060, 6070 and 6080 model tractors. Tractor dealers may have the enigine and parts manuals. Try mainetractorscom .....disclaimer...no affiliation...etc

196thprober

Chuck. Tech Manual sent to the email address supplied via PM. Good luck. Let me know if you need any help locating specific parts, and, if I can't help, I will see if any of my contacts can.

This evening I finished fixing some issues on the MB4 I have been working on. (Finished changing brake master cylinder, replaced mechanical fuel pump with an electric one, fixed leak in air tank valves, and sorted out an "intermittant electrical problem). It ran, and stopped, pretty well. I still need to do some "fine" tuning, and then possibly start on "cosmetics", but it should be good enough to move some WWII bombers around tomorrow.

Its amazing how much satisfaction you can get restoring something back to operational status, expecially those items that didn't get very much tlc or recognition during or after their "active service".

Needle.
I got rhe PM/manual; can't tell you how much I appreciate all your help after the dead ends I ran into! Although the manual is 'dated' somewhat as far as my 81, it will be VERY useful as I try to learn some things. It 's folks like you and a bunch of others that make this website the best , in my opinion of ANYTHING out there!

My goal; get it gussied uo and ready for the Memorial Day Parade, then park it for hiistorical display including lettering 'as it was' for the 379th Bombardmentt Wing (Da Nukes) out of Wurtsmifth AFB, SAC, then have it with all the other vehicles during our MIMVPA June 8-10 show here in Oscoda, then back to display at the Museum for the rest of the summer.

Many thanks again, I owe you!

Last edited:

MatthewH

Needle,

Thanks for getting the TM for Chuck. It will help out alot identifying a couple of different parts we were scratching our heads on.
Hopefully now we can get the linkage all figured out.

Thanks again

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks