• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AMMO CAN BASE, Replaced Front springer seats, Installed HEMTT buckets.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced Front springer seats, Installed HEMTT buckets on a custom base.

I found myself up with the birds today and decided to install the Cab reinforcement plate and the long put off bucket seat project.

I don't know if this has ever been done before but I came up with an excellent base to mount these HEMTT bucket seats. I picked up 2 sets from Ritch a SS member right here in Michigan. The first set I am installing in a 1028 I have not completed yet.

The second set I am installing right now with 50 Cal ammo cans as a base. Last year I picked up a chit load of 50 Cal cans from doghead in Ga. I was on my way to the shop to sheer up and weld a box base then I had a thought about using the ammo cans. They are plenty strong. I used 2 cans per base. The height is perfect and they fit the seat base with no hang over. I welded and bolted the seat base to the lid. I also drilled 5 1/2" holes per can. 4 corners and the center. I used #8 nuts and bolts with over sized washers. I then welded 12-1" beads for the can base to the floor of the cab.

I waited for the welds to cool then cleaned up the slag and debris. Took a tube of Owens Corning 100% black silicone and formed a base gasket and covered the fresh welds. After I was complete with the passenger side I was impressed, I even have a secure/water tight storage place hidden under the seat. I am liking this mod.

Attachments

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think its necessary. There are 2 tight hinges and 2 tight locking flap ends. Its square/level and IMHO strong. Not as overbuilt as the originals but I'm happy. I have our local Memorial Day Parade at noon. I will be up with the birds again finishing up the drivers seat. I looked at my civi trucks and their seats are mounted not 1/2 as strong as these are.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tomorrow after the parade I am installing FatMat/DynaMat on the floor/firewall/rear wall and insulating the cab roof. I found a roll of rubber perfect for the floor. 3/8" thick. I will go through some razer blades on that install.

Andrmorr

Neat idea, did you do anything to reinforce the box latch or hinge?
I was thinking the same thing about the hinges...look at it from a front end collision viewpoint...If you put a 200lb rider in the seat and buckle him in...then the only thing keeping him and the seat from faceplanting into the dash and/or right on thru the windshield is that thin wire latch and hinge...easy fix though...bolt a section of chain to the floor behind the seat and attach it to the back of the seat with a screw closed carabiner...easy detach but strong safety support in a crash...cool idea on the ammo cans!

swirvin21

Ever make any modifications to these? Would think adding a few internal ribs to each can and adding some cross-bracing between the cans would be nice....or is there any space between the cans? I agree with Andrmorr that adding another safety catch, bolt or something would be beneficial for crash safety

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The seatbelts could (and should be) attached to the rear cab wall. That would solve the face-plant issue.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I missing something? Photos 3, 4, and 6 in the first post show the seatbelts attached to their original locations in the back of the cab.

Cheers

rustystud

lol.. According to the dates this is the second time this thread has been brought back from the dead :p Very creative idea though :)
I'm wondering how it all turned out ? Does it still work OK, or has it collapsed from over use and weight ? When I first say this post I thought it would collapse since ammo cans are not made to hold weight like that. It would be nice to know how it has turned out.