• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ammo can tool box's..(Pics)

Drock

I've bin contemplating what tool boxes will work for my needs on this truck. A traditional "back of the cab" box would be in the way of loading my 10' bundles of steel . So I've bin shopping for boxes that mount to the sides. But there all either too bulky and stick out too far into the bed, or they cost an arm and ah leg, and would still need to be painted black. So I remembered I had these old ammo cans I bought with the intent of mounting them to my utility trailer for storing ,WELL what I'm storing now. Ratchet straps in one and bungie cords in the other. I welded up one latch to make ah hinge. And welded ah lock hasp on the other side. So now they swing open, and are lockable. Then I painted them black and coated them with bed liner. Then I just ran some self tappers with sealer on them down through into the bed. They sit perfectly flush with the wheel wells so I don't lose any space. Ammo can box2.jpgAmmo can box1.jpg

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
These are some good ideas.

When I first saw the thread I had nightmares of the return of the "Hey, look at this neat tool box that is shaped like a fuel can!" thread that I think has been banned from all internets from all over the world because there isn't a single living soul over the age of 2 hours that hasn't seen it fifty times a day.

Drock

HA!:D yeah I'll agree I didn't want to be "That ammo can guy" . But I had the cans before I had the truck. And in the end I had to relent to the fact that they were the only thing that was going to work for my needs. I need to have the full length and width of the bed to fit both my steel, and the finished product.

Drock

Update, I was packing these things with all the crap from inside the cab and I can up with this idea I thought I'd share. Ammo can box3.jpgThe main box is of course 20mm ammo can. I made myself a furniture touch up kit using a 50 cal box. Then I made a smaller tool kit using a 5.56 box. As you can see in the pic they both fit in the 20mm can along with ah tow strap and a multi wrench for my trailer lugs. I was surprised to see that all this fit and wont rattle around. I guess these cans are more useful then I though:grin:

Nathanater

Haha. The seat works well enough and has great ventilation for super hot days. Kinda have to "know" how to sit in it but it'll make you a little stiff after a day of wheeling.

I have a set of seats out of a dodge to put in there but I haven't had time to fab up the mounts or even think about it.

Last night I got in her and the lights wouldn't come on. Then, while I was trying to figure out why, they started working but the fuse looked like it was shorting out and smoking. So.... Bigger fish to fry haha.

If I had the time and extra $, I'd take it completely apart, box the frame, upgrade to tons, 6BT swap, new floor, and about a million other things.

Sorry. I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've bin contemplating what tool boxes will work for my needs on this truck. A traditional "back of the cab" box would be in the way of loading my 10' bundles of steel . So I've bin shopping for boxes that mount to the sides. But there all either too bulky and stick out too far into the bed, or they cost an arm and ah leg, and would still need to be painted black. So I remembered I had these old ammo cans I bought with the intent of mounting them to my utility trailer for storing ,WELL what I'm storing now. Ratchet straps in one and bungie cords in the other. I welded up one latch to make ah hinge. And welded ah lock hasp on the other side. So now they swing open, and are lockable. Then I painted them black and coated them with bed liner. Then I just ran some self tappers with sealer on them down through into the bed. They sit perfectly flush with the wheel wells so I don't lose any space. View attachment 517115View attachment 517116

Wait...You painted the ammo cans Black? HERESY !

Save the color they look good.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks