• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ammo Trailer suspension for bob job

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since I have two ammo trailers parked in my Motor Pool I have been eyeing them with bad intents.

I have a deuce I want to bob but no donor front springs or M105 springs.

Has anyone considered using the heavy duty suspension from the ammo trailer for a bobber mod? They also have shocks which is the same setup I want on my bobber.

It looks like you could put the trailer frame right under the deuce frame and weld it on.

Any thoughts on using the ammo trailer suspension for a bobber?

Big Earl

Ammo trailer

The ammo trailer has slipper springs......if that makes any difference to you?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Don't ammo trailers sit lower to the ground?
Yep...that is why I thought about cutting the frame and axle out as a whole unit and installing it under the deuce frame. Just from looking at them side by side it looks like it would be level doing it that way. I have not measured it side to side. I could always add a spacer block to raise the deuce axle.

I have never bobbed a deuce myself but have assisted. I have the welding equipment and all the other implements of destruction needed for the operation.

More input welcome.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Richard, cutting isn't welding! How many leaves are there and what is the eye to eye length?;-)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No eye to eye distance- they have no eyelets! The trailer just sits on the spring. The axle is located by some kind of goofy track bar on the front end. IMHO, it would be a bastard set-up.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was curious cause the springs went fron 12 to 19 leaves and the eye to eye went from 48 to 49 inches.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
No eye to eye distance- they have no eyelets! The trailer just sits on the spring. The axle is located by some kind of goofy track bar on the front end. IMHO, it would be a bastard set-up.
My bobber will have a factory flatbed with gooseneck hitch on it.

My thoughts were that with the heavier springs you could pull a gooseneck trailer with a heavy load if you needed to.

Since my bobber will be for shows and light work I'll prob just go with the front springs off a donor deuce or M105 trailer.

Thanks to all for the input.