• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ammps generator auction

Grimm21

Can someone tell me if they saw the GL listing for a couple of the new AMMPS generators I believe they were listed in Pennsylvania I saw them last week and went back today to look for them and we're gone.I'm not sure if they were sold if so I would love to know what they went for or if GL pulled them off the auction. Thanks

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Grimm21

Thank you these look like the units I was checking out . I did not know they had started putting these out to auction so I wanted to see how much they were selling for I did not look at condition but did notice they were missing some parts.

Chrispyny

Wait a second. Are these the new third generation gensets that are replacing the 8xx fermont gensets?
If so, i was under the impression that these weren't going into service until 2017? And if i'm correct, how are these surplused already?
Thanks

Grimm21

Yes as far as I know these are the mep8xx replacement units. I believe they were put into service 2012 or 13. There are others on the forum that can give more exact info on these units. I was surprised when I saw these units out for auction I would think there are units in the military waiting to replace there ageing Gen sets with new ones but our commander in chief is trying his best to downsize so we get to buy what they deem as second hand.

lxawolf

Looking on the Cummings web page the first units were put into limited test and trial use starting in 2011. This included 379 units sent to Afghanistan for extended use trials. They also fielded up to 130 domestically for unit training. So looks like the ones now coming up for auction could be the ones in the first production used for unit training and field testing. This is pure speculation on my part as info is limited. On a side note its now easy to check the actual hours on the set. As the new units have the digital display with the hour meter. So no longer will it have changed out mechanical hour meters.

Grimm21

I did not check for dates on the auction units I am sure the plated are there with all the info but what you are saying is within reason. I looked on green mountain generators Web site and he has a article on the amps units that does agree with your time line.

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a couple of these units and will be interested if anyone else on SS bought one these AMMPS units. The two units I got were the best of the bunch, it looked like most of them had water damage or something due to the corrosion issues.

The one unit showing it did not meet reserve was a GL error, the reserve was met but GL had a technical issue. This unit looks pretty good and having a photo of it powered up is a good sign.

Last edited: