• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AMMPS Generator Series Remote Data

ilajnfae

With 20v+ on ABC and ‐ on def, I am only getting the panel lights. Maybe my power supply is not strong enough.
Good morning! By any chance is the E-stop pushed in? On mine I have to pull out the E-stop and set rotary switch to either run/prime aux or run/ prime main. Also, do the panel lights respond to pushing the panel lights button? That might tell you if it's paying attention to inputs.

R1ckyb0nd

Good morning! By any chance is the E-stop pushed in? On mine I have to pull out the E-stop and set rotary switch to either run/prime aux or run/ prime main. Also, do the panel lights respond to pushing the panel lights button? That might tell you if it's paying attention to inputs.
I tried it with it both in and out and I went through all the switch settings. I am going tonbring it back tonthe generator today to make sure I did not break it.

ilajnfae

I tried it with it both in and out and I went through all the switch settings. I am going tonbring it back tonthe generator today to make sure I did not break it.
Hmmm. I'll pull mine off its harness and just check big A and little d to make sure I'm not forgetting anything from my original hook-up... Looking at the P2 pin out, it's unlikely that any damage was done, do you happen to remember if it was all 3 pins (Big D,E,F) or just one? So far ,I've found the DCS to be quite robust electrically, as I've been prodding it for awhile with no ill effect:) Good luck!

R1ckyb0nd

Hmmm. I'll pull mine off its harness and just check big A and little d to make sure I'm not forgetting anything from my original hook-up... Looking at the P2 pin out, it's unlikely that any damage was done, do you happen to remember if it was all 3 pins (Big D,E,F) or just one? So far ,I've found the DCS to be quite robust electrically, as I've been prodding it for awhile with no ill effect:) Good luck!
I never connected to D. E.F. Just d.e.f.

ilajnfae

Oh! excellent, I must've misunderstood your message due to the remote auto-capitalization in my first message. Just finished trial here, yanked it off full harness and connected only 2 things: +28VDC to J2-A and RTN to J2-f. When I pulled out e-stop and turned to P&R Main, it turned on the screen and started telling me about all its missing signals, lol. Hope yours is happy too once it's back in its unit

R1ckyb0nd

Oh! excellent, I must've misunderstood your message due to the remote auto-capitalization in my first message. Just finished trial here, yanked it off full harness and connected only 2 things: +28VDC to J2-A and RTN to J2-f. When I pulled out e-stop and turned to P&R Main, it turned on the screen and started telling me about all its missing signals, lol. Hope yours is happy too once it's back in its unit
Just to clarify RTN is the negative wire back to your DC power supply?

R1ckyb0nd

Ok, got the dcs bench powered and the invalid genset fault cleared.
Now when I try to connect with the remote monitor tool it gives me a
"Remote Monitoring tool supports MPC3330 & MPC3332 devices only." Error.

I suspect there are more pins that need to be activated.

Attachments

ilajnfae

Ok, got the dcs bench powered and the invalid genset fault cleared.

I suspect there are more pins that need to be activated.
Nice! glad to see it powered up! The CAN data comes out the back at pins J3-K (CAN HI) and J3-L(CAN LO). The RS-485 pins on that front REMOTE connector are at C (485 HI) and D (485 LO). Thanks to your help, I'm just getting the remote software to pull values from the unit and display them in the remote monitor software. I have a CAN adapter for the J3 pins and an RS-485 to USB adapter for the front REMOTE pins :) It's getting a bit complicated, lol

R1ckyb0nd

Nice! glad to see it powered up! The CAN data comes out the back at pins J3-K (CAN HI) and J3-L(CAN LO). The RS-485 pins on that front REMOTE connector are at C (485 HI) and D (485 LO). Thanks to your help, I'm just getting the remote software to pull values from the unit and display them in the remote monitor software. I have a CAN adapter for the J3 pins and an RS-485 to USB adapter for the front REMOTE pins :) It's getting a bit complicated, lol
I am going to start testing the can system tonight when the kiddos are in bed.

Did you get the remote software working with your dcs while not connected to a generator?
If so what other pins donyou have connected?

ilajnfae

On the Remote connector I have C and D connected as discussed. I also used pin I which is connected to the DCS' return circuit to provide a RTN to my 485-USB adapter. I have been able to get the remote software working (the RMT icon), but I had to set up my 485-USB adapter serial port in the RMT settings first

R1ckyb0nd

On the Remote connector I have C and D connected as discussed. I also used pin I which is connected to the DCS' return circuit to provide a RTN to my 485-USB adapter. I have been able to get the remote software working (the RMT icon), but I had to set up my 485-USB adapter serial port in the RMT settings first
Ok. I will try pin I to ground and see what happens. I know ilthe RMT connects to the DCS when hooked up. Tested it before pulling out DCS. Not sure what is causing the issue. I have the COM port setup and I can see it connects but I am assuming it does not get the right signal telling it it is the correct model.

ilajnfae

Ok. I will try pin I to ground and see what happens. I know ilthe RMT connects to the DCS when hooked up. Tested it before pulling out DCS. Not sure what is causing the issue. I have the COM port setup and I can see it connects but I am assuming it does not get the right signal telling it it is the correct model.
ah... an intriguing possibility, a CAN-enabled unit may not converse via 485. Standby.

Can confirm that having J3-LL grounded is compatible with RMT access... Lmk if the issue persists after connecting Pin I to your serial adapter, I'll pull my DCS back off the whole harness and see if it's a particular pin that is causing trouble. Good luck!

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got that error while poking at my DCS.
I seem to remember that possibly my RS-232 levels weren't sufficient to drive/power the B&B RS-232 to RS-485 adapter.

R1ckyb0nd

Tonight I tested CAN, I was not able to get any data, I see that I get the CAN BUS fault after about 3-4 mins of the DCS being on, so I am assuming it is trying to establish a connection over CAN bus. I have a Jetson Nano with a CAN to SPI transceiver. I tried with and without the 120 OHM resistor jumper on. I will have to try and get CAN on a ESP 32 or Arduino setup to test the CAN on the Nano.
I could also need the J1939 Python modules, that is something I will have to look at tomorrow. I would have thought there would have been some broadcast messages as ilajnfae is seeing the data on an Oscope.

As far as the remote port, I have the military provided cable, so it is as kloppk wrote above. I only have tx/rx and 2 grounds. I connected one of the grounds to the RS485-to-usb converter I have and it made it worse. I ave to use a usb converter as I do not have any systems here with a serial port.

For the CAN to USB what adapters are people buying and same for serial to usb?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a couple of CAN to TTL adapters for looking at the CAN data.
I haven't used them yet though. Have been too busy with other projects.

ilajnfae

I bought a couple of CAN to TTL adapters for looking at the CAN data.
I haven't used them yet though. Have been too busy with other projects.
I have a CAN to USB adapter from Gridconnect, PN GC-CAN-USB IPEH 002021. I'm also using a 30 day trial of their PCAN-EXPLORER 6. My 485-USB is just one I had laying around from an old security system install, no PN visible. Kloppk, I'm very interested hear what data the ECM replies with from a running system when you get a chance, the DCS sends the same 3 or 4 messages over and over, but anytime I try to inject what seems like a reasonable value (coolant temp, RPM, etc. ) The DCS declares fault 781 and fusses about a reply rate, lol. R1cky, I'm about to go pull the DCS off the full harness and see how the 485 works :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks