• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AMMPS MEP-1030 5KW Generator

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Advanced Medium Mobile Power Sources represent the third generation of Department of Defense military standard generators.
AMMPS MEP-1030 5KW Generator
NSN 6115-01-561-7329
5kW MEP-1030 3 cylinder, Kubota D902-IV
mep1030-1.jpg
mep1030-2.jpgmep1030-3.jpgmep1030-4.jpgmep1030-5.jpgmep1030-6.jpgmep1030-7.jpgmep1030-8.jpg

short video
https://youtu.be/UTzU3eOHRCo

Chainbreaker

That is awesome!! Wish they were on the auction block.
Actually there was one a while back ~6 months ago on eBay. Seller said it was one of the first ones ever surplused by DOD. Someone here on SS (Guyfang?) said that the LCD displays had a few problems now and then. So the problem would be, if you had such a unit and its display went bad, where would you source the display from and how many $$$ would it cost to replace? There is something to be said for individual gauges. However that Kubota engine sure sounds nice! Having 2, one in my tractor and one in my new mower I'm really sold on their engines and reliability. My little Kubota 3 cylinder diesel in my GR2120 mower does not hardly turn over when it is started...it just jumps to life and is up and running in a blink of an eye.

rustystud

Actually there was one a while back ~6 months ago on eBay. Seller said it was one of the first ones ever surplused by DOD. Someone here on SS (Guyfang?) said that the LCD displays had a few problems now and then. So the problem would be, if you had such a unit and its display went bad, where would you source the display from and how many $$$ would it cost to replace? There is something to be said for individual gauges. However that Kubota engine sure sounds nice! Having 2, one in my tractor and one in my new mower I'm really sold on their engines and reliability. My little Kubota 3 cylinder diesel in my GR2120 mower does not hardly turn over when it is started...it just jumps to life and is up and running in a blink of an eye.

Just like cars, the more crap you put on them the more cost to repair. For me simpler is better especially for emergency power.
I have always loved the Kubota diesels. Great little power houses ! If I remember correctly the very first ones where German designed. My father almost bought a small Kubota tractor in the 1970's. I went with him to check them out and give my "professional" ( LOL ! ) opinion on them. I had just made "Master Mechanic" at the time and wanted to show my father I knew what I was doing. You know that whole father/son thing. I was extremely impressed by the quality of them. Even today over 40 years later they still are very well made units ! You know how some companies come out of the gates all hot to trot with great quality, but after a few years go by so does the quality. Well Kubota has stayed right at the top. Just like "Yanmar" diesels.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Well Kubota has stayed right at the top. Just like "Yanmar" diesels.
Yep, Japanese made diesels are very well made and run extremely well for a long time. Both Kubota and Yanmar are well established companies, Kubota was established in 1890 and Yanmar in 1912 both are headquartered in Osaka, Japan. Neither have sold out or stuck their brand name on low quality products. Hope they continue that tradition for a long time!

JRM

for whatever reason the Yanmar's start easier- even with the pre heat grid unplugged on a 0F day they fire right up where kubotas require a lot of preheat in the cold. I used to buy and sell used 4x4 compact tractors as a hobby and kept a old john deere 855 for use around the home

Last edited:

rustystud

for whatever reason the Yammer's start easier- even with the pre heat grid unplugged on a 0F day they fire right up where kuobtas require a lot of preheat in the cold. I used to buy and sell used 4x4 compact tractors as a hobby and kept a old john deere 855 for use around the home
That is very true about the "Yanmars" . I have several and they can be pull started (with the compression released ) really easy in very cold weather. If it's extremely cold outside I will hold the compression release on and just spin the engine over several times and then try and start it and they always fire right up.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
All the AMMPS 5kw and up 60kw have built in paralleling.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a few back when they surplussed the the batch of test units at the end of a trial. I've not seen any at the NC locations since.

Guyfang

Staff member
Indeed, looking good! Mike, your fleet should keep you going no matter how long the power outage. It would be interesting to know what the MTBF is for the AMMPS gen sets is.

coxju04

Is the 10KW a 4 cycler, I sure do like those Kubota's engines. We have some here in the middle east with over 10,000 hours on them, and they are still kicking.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
The MEP-1030 5kw AMMPS is a Kubota D902 3 cylinder

The MEP-1040 10kw AMMPS is a Yanmar 3TNV84T 1.5L

Jericho

You cant beat Japanee diesels I have been off grid 25 years since I retired from the military, I run 4 cylinder diesels in the 20 to 30 KW range , turbo, non turbo . I have a Mitsubishi 4 cylinder diesel on a 22 KW unit that has 72 thousand hours on it runs great starts great , change the oil every 3000 hrs run clean fuel only ever changed the water pump, that's it , Have a Mexican made john deere,doesnt even compare

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks