• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AMMPS MEP 10x0 with DCS - Difference between Troubleshooting with a DCS Code and without explained

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi folks,

Yesterday we had a good example of a problem on a MEP 1040 where the owner @Mkestamper had gotten an error code 2967 Governor Actuator Fault. Link here to Thread

The TM's ending in -24P contain diagnostics, repair and parts manual in one document and have on average 1300+ pages

For this particular Warning Code 2967, the manual advices of checking connector, wiring harness first, then measuring coil resistance of actuator with giving a specific Ohm value with tolerance including temperature compensation for go / no go

Our friend @FarmingSmallKubota pointed out to check the TM for trouble shooting procedure that includes cleaning the tip and reinstalling, which is also a very important check.

Now lets take a look at this:

with the DCS there are two possible problems which can occur, one with and one without a DCS Code

The DCS, Digital Control System in the AMMPS have a current monitoring circuit for each output which activates a device.
Like Relays, Light, Contactors, Electrical Motors, Solenoids etc.

This is new as the the 800 Series only monitored inputs (Sensors etc) but not outputs

In our case here with the Governor Actuator, we have three possible scenarios of failure:

Two which will cause Warning Code 2967 to be displayed:
Short Circuit
Open Circuit

and one which will not create a Warning Code:
stuck or not free moveable Actuator piston

All three faults will cause the Genset to not start

The output current monitoring system was incorporated to prevent damage to the main circuit board inside the DCS.

The DCS is "non repairable" and has a price tag off app $ 13,000.00 or thereabouts

However, the output current monitoring does NOT incorporate a valid current range for a connected device, hence a actuator with a not a freely moving piston will draw a higher current current but this current is not high enough to trip the short circuit protection and display Code 2967

So the TM ending in -24P have two procedures listed for troubleshooting, with or without Code.

If you have a code on your display, then 99.99% of the time you have a electrical problem.

If you have no code on your display but your genset won't start or stay running then the problem is of a mechanical nature.

I have not come across a fault where these two statements were not correct, but there is probably an exception to this.

We will find out as time progresses.

Peter

Last edited:

rickf

Very good info, and all the more reason I will never own a computer controlled genset!!! When I really NEED a set to run I want bare bone basics, if there is a problem it is easy to find and repair. My purchases of surplus sets ended with computer controls.

Well, That and ridiculous Richie Bros. minimum bid pricing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks