• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An American Deuce in Canada

The King Machine

A man down.

With the Deuce clutch on the fritz, I've kept driving it to a minimum (Just around town)
My friend with the 5-ton Mercedes has been active. Traveling out mountains alone. Operating these big rigs in real world conditions can be hazardous. Let your guard down for just one second, or make one poor decision and the sh*t gets real in a hurry.
The extra weight and size changes how the game is played off road.
RIP Mercedes-Benz 1017A.

The driver of the truck got caught on a really sh*tty road as night closed in. Trying to get home he encountered a frozen section of road. He told his passenger to get out of the truck and attempted to cross the frozen section. The truck slide off the side of the mountain. Rolled 300ft and came to a rest against a tree. He was wearing a seat belt and survived the crash. He was able to climb back to the road and meet his passenger. Bloodied and bruised they both walked 11 miles in -20c (-4F). That's pacific north west cold, not that wussy dry stuff they get east of us.
They were being tracked by wolves for the last 4 miles and encountered Mountain Lion tracks. Luckily He gave the portable VHF radio to the passenger before the crash or they would be dead.
At 4am a Logging truck operator relayed their Mayday to emergency services.

The truck still sits where it stopped. I suspect late spring with be the earliest it can be recovered.

Reminder to all who push the limits.

Attachments

AZDeuce

Holy Crap! The Lord was watching out for that guy! Trucks can be fixed or replaced. people not so much. Glad they made it out...ALIVE!

The King Machine

Working on it.

The Crashed Mercedes still lies where she fell. There has been one failed recovery attempt with a D9 CAT with winch and a logging skidder. Today there was a second attempt and the truck was removed from the mountain successfully.

As for my truck. I have been busy. With the TM's by my side I once again dive into the fire.
It's been 2 years since her last round of upgrades. Other than some minor maintenance she has performed well. I purchased a lot of parts last year that I never got around to installing. Parts like the air dryer, Air shift Tcase, and Air o matic steering. The time to act is now.
I have the work Broken down into 2 stages:
Stage 1 is General maintenance, clean up, Air o Matic install, and repairs to body damage.
Stage 2 is Air shift Tcase, Clutch repair, and engine repair/upgrades.
After I might repaint her.
I have all the outer axles torn apart. Ordered and installed 4 new wheel bearings lol.
Partially due to all the mud and water they have been drenched in.
I have repaired and welded the body damage. Moved the rear axle vents above the frame, New king pins again which I find strange, Fluid change in the axles, installed valve stem extensions on my HEMTT rims.

The best news is I have all the components installed for the air on matic. Just need to finish the pluming. I'd say Stage 1 is 75% complete. I just need to get the clutch replacement parts ordered, then I can get started on stage 2 right away.

Attachments

oboyjohn

Quite the recovery! I don't think you could have chosen a worse location. Good thing you had some serious pulling power to get it up and on the road. Now the fun starts, tearing into the Benz, and putting her back together. Good Luck!!!

The King Machine

Been really busy working on the truck.
Almost 2 years since her last major tear down.

Welded more than a few spots with damage to the body. Repacked and replaced 4 wheel bearings, Brake maintenance and adjustment, Air o matic assisted steering, and added the air dryer.

Stage one is almost complete.

Stage 2:
- replace the clutch, swap the t case, change out the winch, and a few other Minor fixes

Also my farmer buddy picked up this M923A2. Mint condition other than some slime from sitting. 3500 original miles

49" tires. It could use my truck as a chew toy

Attachments

Carlo

With the Deuce clutch on the fritz, I've kept driving it to a minimum (Just around town)
My friend with the 5-ton Mercedes has been active. Traveling out mountains alone. Operating these big rigs in real world conditions can be hazardous. Let your guard down for just one second, or make one poor decision and the sh*t gets real in a hurry.
The extra weight and size changes how the game is played off road.
RIP Mercedes-Benz 1017A.

The driver of the truck got caught on a really sh*tty road as night closed in. Trying to get home he encountered a frozen section of road. He told his passenger to get out of the truck and attempted to cross the frozen section. The truck slide off the side of the mountain. Rolled 300ft and came to a rest against a tree. He was wearing a seat belt and survived the crash. He was able to climb back to the road and meet his passenger. Bloodied and bruised they both walked 11 miles in -20c (-4F). That's pacific north west cold, not that wussy dry stuff they get east of us.
They were being tracked by wolves for the last 4 miles and encountered Mountain Lion tracks. Luckily He gave the portable VHF radio to the passenger before the crash or they would be dead.
At 4am a Logging truck operator relayed their Mayday to emergency services.

The truck still sits where it stopped. I suspect late spring with be the earliest it can be recovered.

Reminder to all who push the limits.
I've had many 1017's. Though under powered they are a good truck. I hate to think what would have happened to the driver if he was in a 6x6. The MB cab saved him.

Eaglhawk

KingMachine, I see you have been flexing your rear axles alot and in cold weather. Check your rear dogbones (torque rods - metal rods with rubber bushings that hold your axles). This is VERY important especially the top dogbone on the rear rear axle. If the rubber fails the rod can slide off and the axle will rotate backwards causing the rear driveline to seperate than swing around taking the MAIN brake lines out as well. If this happens on a hill you will have no way of stopping until something stops you. Main brakes don't work at all and Engine drivetrain and emergency braking will only work on front axle, 1 point, or not at all without air shift lock. I found this out the hard way towing another m35a2 and finding myself going backward until the trucks Jackknifed. Boice Equipment in Odgen Utah, USA sells a version of the dogbone that won't come apart. Guess what... I had a 2nd dogbone go out on a 5 ton I just bought, but caught it as I was unloading it.... I don't want to see you go through what I went through or worse... Have a great new year...

The King Machine

KingMachine, I see you have been flexing your rear axles alot and in cold weather. Check your rear dogbones (torque rods - metal rods with rubber bushings that hold your axles). This is VERY important especially the top dogbone on the rear rear axle. If the rubber fails the rod can slide off and the axle will rotate backwards causing the rear driveline to seperate than swing around taking the MAIN brake lines out as well. If this happens on a hill you will have no way of stopping until something stops you. Main brakes don't work at all and Engine drivetrain and emergency braking will only work on front axle, 1 point, or not at all without air shift lock. I found this out the hard way towing another m35a2 and finding myself going backward until the trucks Jackknifed. Boice Equipment in Odgen Utah, USA sells a version of the dogbone that won't come apart. Guess what... I had a 2nd dogbone go out on a 5 ton I just bought, but caught it as I was unloading it.... I don't want to see you go through what I went through or worse... Have a great new year...

I keep a real close eye on those dog bones. I've heard the horror stories. Mine have some surface cracks in the rubber so I will need to change them sooner or later.

As for the brakes I have been thinking. I am slowly collecting parts to upgrade to a duel circut system. However for the time being would a "Line Lock style of brake valve work to isolate the front and rear lines from each other if I was to suffer a rupture in the brake system?

For example Hot rodders and racers use Line lock to cut off fluid flow to the rear brakes normally.

What would stop me (legality aside) from installing a line lock valve on front brake line and a second on the rear line? I could wire them to the cab in such a way that both can not be activated at the same time.

This would isolate the desired line if I was to have a brake component fail.

Thoughts?

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-760002/overview/

The King Machine

I took a break from working on the truck to put a few hours into my S-250 camper conversion. I will be dropping it on an old Generator trailer. I'm going to fab an Exo-cage around the shelter to protect it while I drag it around the trees. Propane cage, fresh water tank, solar panels and deep cycle batteries.

I started by cleaning her up and removing all the old vents to clean and reseal them. I cut some steel window trim on the CNC to match the existing screw holes. I used shatter resistant plexiglass. I removed a lot of the switch and plug panels and filled them in with Styrofoam insulation and plate steel. Then filled all the rivet holes inside and painted the interior.

Attachments

The King Machine

Major overhaul taking place right now. I'm hoping to have this all completed for the end of July.

I will update this thread with pics and details when I get closer to being done the job. The list of current tasks underway include:
-Air shift t-case install.
-Clutch replacemnet
-Head Gaskets
-FDC bypass
-Pyro, boost gauges
-Rad repairs
-Wiper motors
-Rework of the headache rack
-Air Dryer filter change
-New fuel gauge and sending unit

Next batch of upgrades (Winter 2015):
-52" LED light bar
-Exo cage for the cab
-Air Lockers for at least 2 axles
-Spin on fuel filters
-Lock out hubs (front and back)
-re spray of paint
-Deep water fording kit

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Major overhaul taking place right now. I'm hoping to have this all completed for the end of July.

I will update this thread with pics and details when I get closer to being done the job. The list of current tasks underway include:
-Clutch replacemnet
-Head Gaskets
-FDC bypass
-Pyro, boost gauges
-Rad repairs
-Wiper motors
-Air Dryer filter change

-52" LED light bar
-Exo cage for the cab
-Spin on fuel filters
-re spray of paint
-Deep water fording kit
That is a lot of upgrade you got lined up there. It'll be a real beauty when you get caught up with all of that. You go, Brother. [thumbzup]

The King Machine

So I'm making my way through now. I have most of what I set out to accomplish underway in some shape or form. I'm still waiting for my clutch parts to come in. After that it should be smooth sailing all the way to the finish line. Most of these pictures are older, I'll take some new ones tonite. The t-case is in the truck, I'm going to run all my deep water fording kit vents up to the cab while I have it all apart. Then when I'm ready it will all be there for the rest of the install. I fixed up a nasty oil leak also.

IMG_1621.jpg The power of beer is propelling this project forward. As standard SOP when beer is involved, all bolts must be triple checked for torque. House rules.
IMG_1624.jpgPainted sprayed the underside of the hood. It needed it, I also painted the firewall and inner fenders. Just brushed it
IMG_1625.jpgAir filter housing.....painted up!
IMG_1485.jpgThis is my girl Lisa, she's a real trooper. Likes working on the deuce and she makes good sandwiches.
IMG_1663.JPGHere's my old flywheel after the resurface. Money well spent.
IMG_1608.jpgMocked up my EGT, boost gauges, and the front engagement switch.
IMG_1583.jpgpainted my turbo piping brown.
IMG_1582.jpg Painted my air shift and transmission black

-Air shift t-case install: Done
-Clutch replacement: 50% waiting on parts, any day now
-Head Gaskets: Done, just need to toss the injectors in
-FDC bypass: Waiting
-Pyro, boost gauges: 50%
-Rad repairs: Done
-Wiper motors: Waiting on parts
-Rework of the headache rack: Postponed
-Air Dryer filter change: Done

BnaditCorps

-Clutch replacemnet
-Head Gaskets
-FDC bypass
-Pyro, boost gauges
-Rad repairs
-Wiper motors
-Air Dryer filter change

-52" LED light bar
-Exo cage for the cab
-Spin on fuel filters
-re spray of paint
-Deep water fording kit
That is a lot of upgrades, read the thread through from the start and like where it is going,

The King Machine

So the truck is running great, tons of power for my liking. The air shift, and clutch feel good . Nice clean injectors, new filters, valve lash adjustment, FDC bypass, and new head gaskets. I don't think it can run any better, on top of that there is very little blow by, I think I have a solid running motor.

I added my overhead console and EGT/boost gauges are full functional. I peak out at about 12lbs boost when I hot dog the throttle and have noticed a max EGT temp 1057 deg. pulling up a steep hill unloaded. I average at about 250-300 at idle.

The first run after putting her back together I notice a pronounced vibration in the drive line, after some investigation I found a sloppy pinion bearing in the front axle. I pulled the drive and have ordered some hub lock outs. I intend on dropping a locker in the front axle this coming fall so I'll just deal with it as is until then.

I added some minor protection to the front grill and radiator of the truck, just some headlight guards and some expanded meta mesh over the front grill. I was always paranoid about a branch or stick damaging the rad and The cable from the winch did some damage to the rad so this modification should prevent that from happening again.

Took the truck to work for the first time.....always a hit with the guys. Then ran into a few of our Canadian boys in Green at the fuel station.

They were very interested in my truck, some even miss having them available to their unit.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks