• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An Update On Winch Drive Line Parts

dabtl

I have had two exact duplicate bearing mounts made. More can be made.

This came from an original bearing mount bracket as a pattern.

I have a close to original bearing bracket shield. I need an original to compare and build from. If you have one that I can borrow for a couple of weeks, it will be a nice pattern. If not I will assemble the one I have and check measurements to make sure it will work.

I have ten under cab brackets and J-bolts coming fairly shortly.

The pillow bearing and U-Joints are easily obtained from commercial suppliers.

The long drive shaft is available quiet cheaply. I will have the measurements for the short drive shaft and possible conversion of the long shaft to fit soon.

Looking good for a change. I am sure glad to be out of trials for a while!!!

butch atkins

I have been following this thread,doing an excellent job for those who dont have winches on their trucks.Its fellow SS members like you that make this site a really nice place for the transfer of knowledge,parts,and just plain good fun in the pursuit of the restoration of our beloved GMCs.Thanks to you and to all who contribute to" The Early Deuce" thread.Good luck to all on your projects.

dabtl

I have turned my attention to the drive shafts now. I am looking to see if there is a manufacturer of them some where.

One solution would be to cut down a long shaft, re-weld the end to the proper length. I will post some pics of both shafts.

dabtl

Here are the pics of the new pillow bearing bracket compared with an original.

The first shows the mounting holes with the sloped shape to allow the proper angle. The original is on the right in each pic.

The second shows the mounting holes and drive shaft hole.

They are identical.

Attachments

dabtl

Sorry the pics got turned around. The pic to the left, the original is on the left. The next pic shows the original on the right.