• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

And, so concludes my correspondance with AVM regarding production of a 5 ton hub

Trango

First off, AVM has been incredibly helpful with helping me brainstorm where I might find parts for my broken 5 ton hub (I bought a recent ebay auction with one good and one broken hub). Ultimately, I was unsuccessful in finding spares (I need the inner coupling ring), but did ask what the cost would be to spin up their tooling to produce 5 ton lockouts from new.

The cost I was given was $100,000 USD.

I figured, even up to about $25k, I could swing it and then slowly sell them out over a series of years. I can't swing $100g's, however. :)

If any of our better-resourced members wants to look into this, please PM me and I'll provide contact details. Please note that we communicated in spanish as the gentleman's english is a bit rough, but he also speaks Italian and Portuguese.

Best,
Bob

Coldfusion21

I would be curious if a smaller shop could provide a lower initial start up cost. Im not familiar with a 5 ton lockout hub, I'd be curious to see a parts breakdown. The more info that could be provided to a shop the lower the cost. There's some pretty serious 4x4 shops with the capability to produce something like this, but cost could be prohibitive there as well.

Edit: not sure if this is new or useful to you but I was looking for a 5 ton hub parts diagram and found these guys

http://www.redbarncustoms.net/5TONROCKWELLPARTS.html

They don't list a price but it does look like they are very familiar with the 5 ton axles.

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Called and talked to the guy and said 5 ton manual lock outs run $1750 per side, or they can make you a set of blank front drive flanges for $200 a side $450 shipped for one complete blank set (no splines for the front axle shaft to mate too).

Trango

Yep, I was looking for a price point closer to that of the AVM lockouts offered for the 2.5 ton trucks. $3.5k per axle is, well, much much more than I'm interested in spending to decouple the wheel to the axleshaft on the front axle.

And, to confirm, I'm referring to lockouts, commonly called locking hubs or just "hubs".

Best,
Bob

Vintage iron

I have been researching making locking hubs. Here are the problems I see with regular Deuce style locking hubs.

1. they will stick out and will be vulnerable to damage.
2. a 5 ton weights 20,000 lbs plus and that is at a stop.
3. little pieces of brass and aluminum are expensive to machine.
4. no one wants to pay big bucks for parts
5. it is really easy to take off the existing hub and replace them with blanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks