• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

And the day began with such promise!!! 8-}

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your coolant leak appears to be the tranny cooler. Check condition of tranny fluid, level, and see if you have oil in coolant.

Also check oil level to make sure oil cooler is good.

Does sound like multiple murphys hit at one time.

Will truck start and idle ok in storage yard?

ditto on fuel. I think I ran mine out of fuel on a very small incline due to the pick up tube going dry and low fuel. I now always try to keep at least 1/3 or more.

manders

Does sound like multiple murphys hit at one time.
Why get hit by only one ... when two or three is soooo much more entertaining! ;-}

Thanks for the info on the tranny cooler. I'll can't get to the yard until this weekend, but believe me, I've got quite a checklist to follow ... thanks to generosity and support of this community!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ditto on fuel. I think I ran mine out of fuel on a very small incline due to the pick up tube going dry and low fuel. I now always try to keep at least 1/3 or more.
It'll hurt the first time but after that it costs the same to keep the top half full as it does the bottom half of the tank. There are some ingenious ways to lock the fuel cap down and it'd be cheaper than a tow.

Triple C

Well I must say manders, you have been hit on all sides, including here, and you have a great attitude, good for you. I hope your truck doesn't cost too much to fix. If you can keep your great attitude on this steep learning curve you will do just fine. Your candor will definitely help others as they enter the hobby, thanks.

dmetalmiki

Well I must say manders, you have been hit on all sides, including here, and you have a great attitude, good for you. I hope your truck doesn't cost too much to fix. If you can keep your great attitude on this steep learning curve you will do just fine. Your candor will definitely help others as they enter the hobby, thanks.
100% agree and encourage. swat up get familiar and enjoy safely.

Artisan

The first red flag for me was the Mileage VS Hour meter readings.
Have you done the math? Here; 24,000 / 29Hrs = 827.586206896
MILES PER HOUR AVERAGE, correct?
Did you read those gages right?
If so you can not trust any of them. Even if they were within parameters
you can't trust them, they get changed, right or wrong. The next
read flag was the amount of corrosion I see, everywhere.
These trucks require work, a LOT of work to keep them safe.
The few pics I saw suggest that truck needs some serious massaging.
How much brake pad are left on each brake assembly? When was
the last time you drained the air tanks? What was the result of
your first COLA test, how many COLA tests have you performed
since you bought it, and how many times have you driven it? What is the water level
in each and every battery cell? Are all batteries strapped down
w/ rubber insulators installed? Have you replaced the main fuel filter?
Have you flushed the coolant system and pulled all hoses and back
flushed the heater core (mine was full of yuck!), drained the radiator and
flushed the block? Did you pull any side plates on the block and
eyeball for sediment deposits within, replaced the thermostat just because?
Then replacing the coolant w/ an approved mix for your climate?
Did you replace the oil filter and drain it? Tranny filter? Is air pressure
in all tires constant / to spec? Spare inclusive? Chain fall working?
Have you pulled every single lug nut / budd nut and make sure they
work so you do not have a roadside issue if, wait WHEN you get a flat?
Bottle jack and wood blocks and budd / lug nut wrenches and cheaters
all on board and ready to go? Triangles present? Fire extinguisher
was NOT PRESENT! ? Dude! If you get pulled over by commercial highway
patrol you could get some serious fines! What are the rules for setting triangles?
What is the oil level in all 3 axles? How many times have you greased
it, all of it, everything? Are the front axle boots intact? The front wheel
bearings are supposed to be pulled and inspected and repacked w/
grease every 3000 miles I believe, look it up in the TM. Is the
flywheel drain plug installed in the proper hole? (Trick Question!)
Does the low air warning light work? How about the buzzer for it?
What is the T/C oil level? Have you replaced the Air Dryer Filter?
Have you done a walk around to check function of all lights?
Is the air cleaner filter ok? Any exhaust leaks? With that much
rust I would HIGHLY recommend you pull the top exhaust stack
and make sure it is not ready to fall off. You can't tell until you
pull it to see. Are wipers as new? HAVE YOU TRACED THE MAIN
BATTERY CABLES TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT RUBBED RAW LIKE
MOST OF THESE THINGS ARE AT THE LEFT REAR OF THE BLOCK?

OR ANYWHERE ALONG THE WAY? It goes on and on and on.
My M925A1 took months to get into a condition "I" was happy
with and everyone wanted my truck when I bought it cause it
was in such good shape! There are hidden DISASTERS waiting
to raise their ugly heads w/ these trucks. Be wise in your decisions,
please. Do what everyone has suggested then start all over
using the manuals and report back in a few months and tell
us what you found, or did you just sell it once you started
digging into it? ;-)

jw4x4

It'll hurt the first time but after that it costs the same to keep the top half full as it does the bottom half of the tank. There are some ingenious ways to lock the fuel cap down and it'd be cheaper than a tow.
Also, the more fuel in the tank, the less condensation will occur.

frioman

Don't worry. Checking and changing fluids is not that difficult or bad. You can learn even more advanced items from the technical manuals (TM). Not everyone performs all maintenance like brake shoes or wheel bearings. You can still enjoy your truck and pay to have some things done if that's what you choose. I don't want you to regret buying it. Like others stated...your truck will likely improve incrementally as you continue to learn.

whiskey357

Banned
Howdy and see as iffn you dont have enough to do ....Welcome to the green bug bite ass.......fun and games and you get to learn new thing like ...WHAT IS THAT.......and the wife says something like ...HOW MUCH IS THAT GOING TO COST...........you know this like wife swapping on TV never know what you will end up with hehehehehehhe.....M35A2 I got is called lots of thing but never ever boreing heheheheheheh so grab a beer and a wrench.....get comfeeeee and let the good times roll baby heheheheh what else you doing to do with the THING.......

manders

I don't want you to regret buying it. Like others stated...your truck will likely improve incrementally as you continue to learn.
I have too much sitting above the rest of the world to regret buying it!!! ;-}

Thanks for the kind words. I'm having a blast, in spite of losing my eyesight spending all my free time pouring over TMs ... :grin:

Buster70

Don't let what anyone says bother you. None of us, knew a thing about these trucks at one time! No one is born with this knowledge, it is a learning experience! Some of us got it in the service, and some of us just like to take things apart and make them work again. You will at one time or another have to touch every part on the truck and become familiar with it and it's function. Stay excited, ask questions, and be safe! Plan far ahead of what could and most probably will happen. Welcome to the addiction!

jarhead1086

My cooling system was nasty. At least your coolant looks clean even though its the wrong color. I pulled my radiator and surge tank and had them descaled and resealed. I replaced many of my hoses since the steel stiffeners in the elbows had rusted into pieces. I found a free shop rag in my tranny cooler. I replaced many of my hose clamps and now carry spares. While its torn apart you may as well install a block heater. I ran cleaner through several times to get the brown stop leak out which will ruin your block heater. Now I have pretty purple SCA and no more brown chunks. I have crawled all over this thing and I learn new stuff every time I do. After a year of working on it in my garage I feel more confident but have a ways to go yet. I have bonded with my money pit and I'm still glad I bought it.

manders

Epilogue: Occam's razor, simple stuff, and a better pair of glasses!!!

Time sure flies when you've having fun, or - as in my case - even when you're not!!! ;-}

It's been three months of mind numbing work sandwiched around four painful dental surgeries and nearly a month of major pain before I've finally found the time to give y'all an update. I apologize for both the delay and the very verbose thread that follows! :p

[HR][/HR]
Shortly after my weekend joy ride and before I could make any progress on troubleshooting, I got called out of town for work.

No worries ... fast forward two weeks.

Based on a couple recommendations and two phone calls with the service manager to "get a feel", I found a good mechanic in Redmond about 3 miles from where I store my truck.

I explained what happened, all the symptoms, all the great feedback from everyone on this thread, etc., and we schedule an appointment for late May. In the between time, I make a couple trips to the yard, re-examine everything, read thread after thread on this site, pour over the TMs (nothing passes the time faster while waiting for an overdue Delta flight than reading a couple thousand pages of TM's :D), etc., etc., etc.

I finally get back to town, coordinate the tow from the yard to the shop, and head over to get ready.

My brother is in town visiting and decides to tag along. (If my in-born skillz with motor vehicle rates about a 3 on a 1 to 10 scale ... his is about -42! :p )

Seeing as the tow is on the way, I decide to fire the bad boy up and see what I can see while waiting.

Properly chastised by this thread, before I flip the switch I do a "pre-flight" check, per WP0112 et. al.; I open the hood, check the oil, tranny, fill up the radiator with water (they're gonna drain it all anyway!), do the complete walk around etc., etc.

Moment of truth, and after three weeks with nary a how-dya-do ... it starts right up.

Sure, go ahead ... rub it in ... pretend nothing happened ... see if I care!!! ;-}

I'm keeping a sharp eye on the gauges, ready to shut it down if anything even looks weird!!!

After about 5 minutes, it's just purring along. I engage the tranny and move a few feet back and forth listening and feeling and watchin' and ... nothing. Hmmmm ....

Right about then my brother waves to me, pointing at the engine, and casually says ... "Is this normal?"

[In the half-paranoid/full-fretful mood I'm in ... that's just like being on the operating table, tubes everywhere, mouth covered with breathing masked, chest cracked open, and then through the anesthetic fog you hear the surgeon say "Uh oh .... " ;) ]

I pop down from the cab, mosey over and take a look where he's pointing.

I'm so dumbfounded, I don't even think about taking a picture just so y'all can REALLY laugh at my dumb ol' butt! 8-}

The water pump belt is broken ... but still draped over BOTH pulleys, even the one spinning like there's no tomorrow!!!

Really? Overheating problem?!?!? I can't imagine WHY!!! :-x

After recovering from the initial shock, I actually get a little optimistic: a broken belt is a lot better than a broken tranny!!!

A few minutes later the tow truck arrives, he hooks it up, drives away, and I head home to a cold beer and a couple aspirin!!!

I gave the repair shop the following To-Do list:

1. Replace all belts.
  2. Review the fuel system, check the filter, if at all suspect let’s change, and drain and flush the tank.
  3. Coolant system, drain and flush.
  4. Transmission check.
  5. Verify the "crossed air lines" of the transfer case high/low dump solenoid (per one of the other threads on SS).
  6. Remove the large washer which trips a roller arm attached to a solenoid that automatically engages FWD (ditto!).
  7. Alternator needs checking and/or adjustment.

And finally … I gave him a synopsis of the checklist provided by Artisan (with the results of the checks in green):

• How much brake pad are left on each brake assembly? [80%]
  • Verify the airlines and air tanks? [Air dryer filter replaced, everything else looks good]
  • Have you replaced the main fuel filter? [Examined everything, some debris in tank, replaced filter]
  • Have you flushed the coolant system and pulled all hoses and back flushed the heater core (mine was full of yuck!), drained the radiator and flushed the block? [drained, flushed, replaced a bunch of hoses, rebuilt coolant reservoir]
  • Did you pull any side plates on the block and eyeball for sediment deposits within, replaced the thermostat just because? Then replacing the coolant w/ an approved mix for your climate? [No, but there are no signs of any trouble, no noise in valves, and would be amazed if anything was overlooked at last rebuild]
  • Did you replace the oil filter and drain it? [In new condition] (I had this done in October)
  • Tranny filter? [Fine]
  • What is the oil level in all 3 axles? [About 3 qts low each, all filled up now]
  • Are the front axle boots intact? The front wheel bearings are supposed to be pulled and inspected and repacked w/grease every 3000 miles I believe, look it up in the TM. [Perfect]
  • What is the T/C oil level? [Perfect and in good condition]
  • Have you replaced the Air Dryer Filter? [Replaced]
  • Is the air cleaner filter ok? [Perfect]
  • Any exhaust leaks? [None]

All the 1-7 points got covered. Here's a copy of the final statement I received with the parts list and some additional notes:

FinalBill.jpg

I told the manager I wasn't in a hurry and told him to work on it in between higher-priority customers. The truck spent two full weeks in the shop, and when I went to pick it up, every one of the mechanics (okay ... only three, but it was still every one of them! ;-)) came over to say how cool a truck it was!

(Once I got the truck back I installed the aftermarket Delco-clone 24V alternator instead of just replacing the regulator. I'll cover that install on a separate thread.)

The net/net is that I'm a bit poorer in money, much richer in experience, and the proud owner of nice truck.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations, insight, and laughter ... (it wasn't at me ... it was with me ... right? ;)).

MAnders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks