• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

And the M818 repair questions start...What is this?

chgofiveo

I was looking at TM 9-2320-260-34-1 in an attempt to identify this part but I cant find it anywhere. Anybody know what its for or where it gets hooked up to? (Its the silver part with the unplugged wire harness that says "KULITE") I think it must be a pressure sensor but Im not sure.

I also cant shut the engine off with the starter switch...I turn the switch to off but the engine "keeps on a runnin" and I have to use the Emergency Stop cable to shut her down.

Is this "KULITE" sensor related to my problem or is it maybe a bad fuel shut off solenoid causing this, maybe something else? Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
see if the bypass screw on the back of the fuel shut off valve is turned in, if it is this will cause the problem, if it is turn it out. if it is turned, WHY????

Crash_AF

I second doublechecking the fuel screw. The GL guys love screwing it in if the batteries are dead, my 816 was like that when I got it. Nothing else was wrong with the truck, just the screw was turned in.

Later,
Joe

chgofiveo

I second doublechecking the fuel screw. The GL guys love screwing it in if the batteries are dead, my 816 was like that when I got it. Nothing else was wrong with the truck, just the screw was turned in.

Later,
Joe
Hey Joe...If you were looking at the picture I took, would the fuel screw be on the left, right, top, bottom or face (front) of the fuel shut off valve. I dont want to mess with the wrong thing.

Oh...and, a Merry Christmas! :grin:
Thanks

area52

Follow the fuel line into the IP, in your picture its at the top, right behind the "mystery" sensor.

Your emergency stop cable pulls a valve that sits on top of the electric shut off solenoid, the screw they are talking about is in the front of that solenoid. Make sure the wires are hooked up to it also, does not look like it from that picture.

grizcty

Follow the fuel line into the IP, in your picture its at the top, right behind the "mystery" sensor.

Your emergency stop cable pulls a valve that sits on top of the electric shut off solenoid, the screw they are talking about is in the front of that solenoid. Make sure the wires are hooked up to it also, does not look like it from that picture.
Hey Area,

Would this be the same set up,solenoid on my Cummings 250 900 series ?
As I have to use the emergency pull switch too.

If I pull it too far.:-(
I have to hand push it back from under the hood.
Thanks.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"If I pull it too far.:sad:
I have to hand push it back from under the hood."
put a pull back spring on it

area52

If you have a 900 not an A2 then yes the engine is the same and should have the same solenoid, but I have not worked on them so I am just guessing.

The emergency shut down lever does not have a spring return so you have to crawl under the hood to reset it every time you pull it. You can put a spring on it to make it easier.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Area,

Would this be the same set up,solenoid on my Cummings 250 900 series ?
As I have to use the emergency pull switch too.

If I pull it too far.:-(
I have to hand push it back from under the hood.
Thanks.

That is the way it is designed to function.

kc5mzd

There is a trap door on the driver’s side under the fender on the inside of the front tire. It has a couple of thumbscrews holding it on. You can take it off reach in and "reset" the emergency shutoff valve without climbing the truck to open the hood and resetting it from the top. I found this door *after* I figured out GL turned in the fuel cutoff solenoid screw. I only used it once just to try it laughing at all the times I had to climb onto the front of the truck to get under the hood.

grizcty

Thanks guys,

I have put a spring on it, just does not work properly.
Cable is too stiff.

Come decent weather, I need to figure out. (May, June)
Why it does not shut down correctly. :!:

Crash_AF

In the first pic the screw is behind the pipe above the silver valve with the wires in the shadow. It's really obvious when you look at the solenoid, there are wires on one end and the screw on the other (towards the front of the truck). When the screw is turned in, it pushes the solenoid into the engaged position without power so that the truck will start and run. Just turn the screw counter-clockwise until it stops, no need to crank on it hard.

As far as the emergency stop cable, it is designed to have to be reset from under the hood because it is for 'emergency stop'. It is not like a deuce where you have to pull the stop switch every time. Check the position of the above referenced screw, it's probably turned in.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Later,
Joe

chgofiveo

see if the bypass screw on the back of the fuel shut off valve is turned in, if it is this will cause the problem, if it is turn it out. if it is turned, WHY????

There is a trap door on the driver’s side under the fender on the inside of the front tire. It has a couple of thumbscrews holding it on. You can take it off reach in and "reset" the emergency shutoff valve without climbing the truck to open the hood and resetting it from the top. I found this door *after* I figured out GL turned in the fuel cutoff solenoid screw. I only used it once just to try it laughing at all the times I had to climb onto the front of the truck to get under the hood.
In the first pic the screw is behind the pipe above the silver valve with the wires in the shadow. It's really obvious when you look at the solenoid, there are wires on one end and the screw on the other (towards the front of the truck). When the screw is turned in, it pushes the solenoid into the engaged position without power so that the truck will start and run. Just turn the screw counter-clockwise until it stops, no need to crank on it hard.

As far as the emergency stop cable, it is designed to have to be reset from under the hood because it is for 'emergency stop'. It is not like a deuce where you have to pull the stop switch every time. Check the position of the above referenced screw, it's probably turned in.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Later,
Joe
Well, Just wanted to let you all know, you guys were right! I got in there, rolled the screw out and now it shuts off GREAT!! Thanks for the info everyone and Im sure Ill be back with more questions...Thanks again
Mike