• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

And the project has started

Engine5

Today was the start of converting M51 into a 5 ton cargo.
Going to put a deuce bed on it, not sure if I am going to keep it full size or cut and do a re weld while keeping tool box and spare carrier. There was a pic of one like that on the forum a few weeks a go and it looked sweet. 2 hours, and 3 pizza's not too bad.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious - so please do not take offence:

To me, a dump truck is one of the most useful MVs imaginable. If it is an original dump truck, it is even sweeter.
What is the reasoning behind ripping the dump bed off (probably removing the cylinders, PTO etc. as well?) and "dumbing" the truck down?
Is it the looks, the "cool" factor? It can't be more practical w/o the dump bed, can it?

Engine5

I do not offend easy, so none taken. The reason is this.... I got the truck for the emergency managment agency in my town I am the Asst. Director. I agree about how usefull a dumper is, but as an EMA vehicle a dump is useless. I can fit more people in a cargo bed when it comes time to evac low areas during floods, and its easier for loading gennys, pumps ect and keep everyone and everything dry.
But my big reason. If the truck has a working dump body on it the highway dept will take the truck for snow and dirt removal. And they will destroy this truck in a year. I have seen how they treat the equipment they got. The town I got this from had a sister truck to this, and their guys destroyed it with front end loaders because they were bored.

Engine5

Thanks Jay, not the way I wanted to do it. If it was up to me I would have had your truck here with plates on it already. But I keep the pic's to remind them of what they lost out on.
I got a guy doing a trade with me, but I need to see more pic's before he hauls it down here. There are a few interested members with real nice beds. But he was first, gotta give him a chance.

Engine5

It wont be lost, it will be in the good hands of an SS member. And if I did not do this, the truck would be destroyed in a year. I seen first hand what happend to the sister truck of this by another Highway Dept.

Engine5

Ok, i got one for you guys.
is there a way to use the rear facing output pto for powering a pump. I have done the bed transfer and was thinking about running a water pump for brush fires.

Attachments

DMgunn

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but instead I will ask one......is that an un-molested deuce bed? I love the proportions, esp. when I visualize a set of 14.00 or 16.00-20s. Reminds me of Rizzo's 5-ton cargo, but somehow looks shorter.

dburt

Alex and Frank at Idaho Motor Pool just put a deuce bed on a five-ton tractor with the short wheelbase that they then put the big super single tires on. (In short order pics should be posted on thier website.) Anyway, when I first saw it, I was suprised at how short the 12-ft deuce bed looked on the truck. Your truck with the longer wheelbase could use the longer 5-ton box and look proportioned just about right. Also it would give you more carry capacity.

Engine5

Yes Sir it is.
I am trying to put together a truck that can be used for SAR and brush fires and EMA op's. Thats why I need to figure out if there is a way to use the rear facing PTO for a pump of some sort. If I went with a longer bed I would have to extend the frame of the truck. The M51 has a short frame also.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks