• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Annoying Coolant Leak

Braunchitis

Hey all,

I've got a CUCV that's leaking quite a bit (not gushing, but not real slow either) of coolant near the water pump. It leaks whether the truck is running or not, but it leaks a lot more when it's warm. The weep hole (I assume that's the hole on the bottom of the water pump, see pic) is bone dry. It's hard to tell, but I think it's coming from near/behind a bolt that attaches a bracket from the pump to the PS pump (see pic 2). I've tried tightening that nut, but it didn't seem to slow the coolant leak down.

If anyone had any ideas as to how I might be able to fix that, I'd appreciate it!

Attachments

chief1983

The second pic seems to make it clear that you're identifying a power steering pump bracket bolt, which are notorious for coming loose, from what I've read (and seen). I don't know how that would be related to a coolant think though, the loose bolt is probably a red herring for that problem but needs to be tight nonetheless. Checking the tightness of the lower hose clamp is probably a good idea, I just had a problem with my radiator-side clamp on my lower hose after replacing it the other day. Seems I hadn't tightened it enough and I think that's been the primary cause of my recent overheating problem. I guess you really gotta put some torque on those screw-type clamps.

cpf240

Don't some of those bolts go into open water jacket cavities, requiring sealant on the bolts when installing them? Thought I read something about that here before.

Hasdrubal

You're correct, stud(23) where the pump bolts on is the one showing in the OP's pic. Its goes into the water jacket and will leak if not tight . Should have sealant on it, you might have to drain the coolant and pull it to apply sealer if all else fails.

3. Apply pipe sealant to threads of bolts (17). Apply pipe sealant to oil filler tube studs (16) and stud (23) on portion of threads installed on crankcase cover (18).

Attachments

Braunchitis

You're correct, stud(23) where the pump bolts on is the one showing in the OP's pic. Its goes into the water jacket and will leak if not tight . Should have sealant on it, you might have to drain the coolant and pull it to apply sealer if all else fails.

3. Apply pipe sealant to threads of bolts (17). Apply pipe sealant to oil filler tube studs (16) and stud (23) on portion of threads installed on crankcase cover (18).
That would make sense, thanks! Some of the nearby PS pump nuts and bolts had to be tightened up recently, I guess it could make sense that the stud there could come loose too.

I'll take a look at it in the next few days, but is there a certain type of sealant that should be used?

Braunchitis

That seems to have done the trick. Added sealer, tightened bolt, no leaks...from that spot anyway. NOW I have a leak from the WP weep hole....so that's the next fix....

Hasdrubal

Had to do mine last year when the weep hole started leaking. One of the things I would have liked to know back then was that there is a civvy 6.2 gasket for the front cover, instead of just using anaerobic sealant per the TM's.

Attachments