• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another 002a recovery

pahunter

Thank you all at this site for the information I have learned over the last few weeks. I just picked these up today from New Castle DE today. I was bidding on individual generators at other locations but the ones I was interested in were going to high so I had to go to plan B and actually plan C. These were tier 2 reset in 2007. The hours on the meters match the paperwork that was still with it so it appears that they only have a few testing hours on them. Everything went very smooth at New Castle the people were very helpful. On the way home a tire blew( no idea why). The tires are about 5 years old but only have approx. 4-5 thousand miles on them and are rated for 3500 lb. each?? Some of the generator trailers in that lot looked even nicer cosmetically than these but these are pretty darn nice. Except for some of the fuel filter canisters being missing they seem to be complete. I think Uncle Sam paid over 19,000 for these in 2007. I'm going to take my time and follow all the instructions I've learned here before trying to start them up. With the fees each one cost about $850, $1700 total. More than I wanted to spend but I've been looking for months Iand couldn't wait any longer.

Thanks again for all the help.

Attachments

Last edited:

DieselBob

Nice looking power plant. Sorry to hear about the tire problem. The trailer rated tires always seem to be prone to this type of failure more so than the LT style tires.

ETN550

Very good find. I was watching that auction but I'm too far a way. Hope you can get them runing with minimal effort. You will enjoy them they are excellent machines.

Unfortunately, a lot of trailer tires are junk these days. Plus they are only rated for 65 mph which puts them at their limit on a hot day with load on the interstates.

You were way under the capacity of the trailer and should not have had a blow out. Your load was well ahead of the axle, as it should be. Looks like the tread separated and then tore out the sidewall.

always carry a trailer spare.

I agree, next time all of my trailers are going to get LT tires.

pahunter

It's the first time I used the tire ramp that came with the trailer. Man was that nice. By myself I was on the road again in 20-25 min. Lt tires for me also next time.

The oil canister was missing the retainer and spring inside. Is there a good source for small parts like that????

Attachments

DieselBob

Three suggestions on the oil filter can. One of our members has a spin on kit to make replacements much easier and can be found in the classifieds under parts for sale. You could put a add in the classified section under parts wanted. Also Delk's seem to have a all these little odds and ends available but they are on the upper end of the price scale but top notch service the few times I have purchased from them.

PJDiesel

I got several 002's (2 sets and a single) from that same end date. So far so....... mediocre. :-(

I have one that is beautiful, 7 hours from a reset in 07 (seems like most were that way), although this one is a 1991 model. This fella runs like a top, spins right over, nice and smooth at running speed.
I have one that runs like a champ, but no freq reading, two that run 100% and one that had a stuck IP, and also no hertz showing on that one. I free'd the pump, but didn't following the timing procedure when reinstalling, so..... I'm not totally sure what I've done there...

First post here, but I SHOULD be posting a tutorial on how to NOT to buy from GL. First two experiences were good, fair deals, decent equipment. This one, by no ones fault other than my own, has been a miserable experience. Mistakenly WAY over paid for the single 5KW trailer mounted, and got just fair deals on the two sets. Add in $690.00 in batteries, $141.00 in filters, $70.00 in oil, and a now unknown outcome with the IP issue, I'm having buyers remorse here.

PJDiesel

For future reference, I paid a similar close price for my sets, I'm not at liberty to discuss the single. I had it in my watching weeks before it started, and for some reason had it in my head it was a SET, not a single.....:oops:

I'm either going to have to LOVE it and keep it, or sell it at loss to help re-coup the overall beating I've dealt myself on these.

Isaac-1

Don't feel too bad, the one I feel somewhat sorry for was the new 3 kwMEP-016d owner from last week at Ft. Polk where the GL description read 5KW MEP-002a, ended up selling for around $800.

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For future reference, I paid a similar close price for my sets, I'm not at liberty to discuss the single. I had it in my watching weeks before it started, and for some reason had it in my head it was a SET, not a single.....:oops:

I'm either going to have to LOVE it and keep it, or sell it at loss to help re-coup the overall beating I've dealt myself on these.

Ah, you must be the guy who bid over $2500 for the 002 on a trailer. I knew someone was going to be disappointed in their due diligence (or lack thereof).

John

PJDiesel

Only paid $100 more than the next idiot...:-(

I made just short of 100% pure profit on the first one I bought from the other New Castle location on 8/4. Live and learn I guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks