• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another 10 ton

AMGeneral

Well,went to Ballground GA today and bought another M123,just did save it from the torch,it was scheduled to be cut up in the next few weeks.It's a 1969 Mack M123E2,basically a rolling chassis,has 8 good tires though.I'll probably restore this one and turn the other into a parts truck.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
SE TOYOTA,

Ballground is up on I-575, heading towards Jasper/Canton. North of Marietta.

5tonpuller

I would love to get one also. BUT im told cuz of the size I cant drive it here OR get the plates and such to drive it on the road.
Im sure there is a way around this. Any ideas?

5tonpuller

I would love to get one also. BUT im told cuz of the size I cant drive it here OR get the plates and such to drive it on the road.
Im sure there is a way around this. Any ideas?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure someone will chime in who owns one, but the main drawbacks are:
1) 9.5 feet wide (overwidth - need permit just to drive it on any road)
2) non-synchro tranny designed for the powerband of the gas motor (very hard to shift up much less down. Several guys will tell you they start in 2nd and go right to 5th! A lot of practice will help.)
3) Full air brakes without spring locks (this can be retrofitted, I guess).

With that said, I still drool over them everytime I see one... I would own one if I could get it cheap enough...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
CUCVFAN - you left out slow - for those of you who think a deuce is slow, and needs mods - try out one of these big boys - about 42 MPH is all you get.

With regards to the brakes - no air=no brakes. I know a guy who lost a driveshaft - which took out the air tanks - which meant no brakes whatsoever (remember, the parking brake is mounted on the driveshaft) - no fun.

That being said, glad I have mine.

Regards,
David

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, forgot slow too.

On the tranny, I suppose some of the later released trucks may have had the Williams exhaust brake, which supposedly helps with the shifting, since it helps slow the big Cummins down quickly between gears. Although, if you are not pulling a load and really revving it, you're probably not trying to shift out of a gear at the redline anyway...

I still want one... :drool:

rdixiemiller

Those old engines coupled to non-synchro trannies are a blast to drive! If the engine does not slow down fast, you can start in first and run all the gears without using the clutch. I drove an old IHC dumper, 392V8, 5 and a 3. We had replaced the tranny with a truly ancient 5 speed that was totally non synchro. I could up and down shift with not a grind. Just click in and out of gear. It ran about 45 MPH max.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some guys at the meseum have been talking of getting one to haul the M60 tank to shows. Any ideas on where to get the trailor?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The Vietnam-era M15A2 trailer can be difficult to find - but the last trailers these were commonly used with were the M747 - which are being surplused now.

HTH,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks