• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another 1009 IP problem

ranchhopper

I needed to take the leaky IP off the 1009 and replace it so I found a new one on GL for a CUCV and got it for a great price. I put it in the truck and cranked and cranked and no fuel to the injectors. The fuel has plenty of pressure coming into the pump from the filter and has fuel in the top end I took the return line off and there was fuel there. The timing mark is lined up with where the original was and the shut off solenoid does click when the pink wire is taken off with the key on I'm at a loss now as to why it doesn't pump any fuel to bleed out the lines. It was suggested to me at work it may have a stuck plunger because being new doesn't mean it hasn't sat on a shelf for years. If it is a stuck plunger can it be remedied with spending hundreds of dollars on it at a diesel injection shop?

cucvrus

10 ft pole.pngA re-manufactured injection pump with a warranty cost about $350. I have installed many without incident. But did you pull the glow plugs and let the delivery nozzle nuts loose while cranking it over? And if you did. Did fuel come from the lines at the nozzles? That is about as much help as I can offer. I installed brand new injection pumps that last 6 months. the seals do dry up in un-used pumps. Good Luck. I am just trying to help. Lesson learned never install a used pump. And never install a new pump if you do not know how old it is. I have heard this issue before from others.

Barrman

I totally agree with all the post above about "new" not meaning it is good today. However, to try and help you get running now. Start with the basics.

Does the pink wire when removed and put back on the top of the IP with the key on give you a click noise that you can feel if your hand is on the pump? If no, pull the cover off the pump and figure out why the solenoid isn't working. While inside the top, move the rods around to ensure they do move and aren't stuck from sitting too long. If yes, then pull the glow plugs and let it spin some more with the key on and the pink wire hooked up. It will take longer than you imagine to get fuel to the injectors with a good working pump that started out dry.

Pull the return line fitting from the top of the IP. Is it plugged up or can you see through it? If you installed it with the IP and it is now plugged, get another IP. If clear, go back to cranking the engine with the glow plugs out and charging your batteries.

ranchhopper

I have a friend with a diesel shop we used him for years rebuilding pumps for work I'm going to take it off tomorrow and bring it out to him. I don't mind paying a bit to have a pro check it over I only paid 250 for it so I have a little room to spend a little more on it.

Mg84648

Same thing happened to me. The overhauled IP I ordered apparently sat on the shelf for a bit when I purchased it. I cranked through a starter and a dozen man hours until I finally took it off and sent it back. Turned out to be a stuck plunger. They fixed it under warranty and it works like a champ now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks