• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another 5ton towing scenario question

azkcr

Howdy gents.
I have a 1991 5ton with the troop bed on it.
I have 29k pounds of counterweights for a crane that I might want to tow with it.
They would not be trailered, they would be rigged to pin into the bed over the axles.

That would put +16k lbs on each of the rear axle?
Is this a big negative?

Any input is appreciated.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Pretty sure the only thing about the suspension that’d complain would be dog bones, tight turns would be risky on pavement.

Legally would you be over your registered GVWR?

Brakes would probably handle it at lower speeds with downshifting if they’re in good shape.

Drivetrain should handle it just fine, albeit it’d be fairly gutless. Atleast you wouldn’t have to worry about the rears locking up if you stomped the brakes!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The bed is not made of anything so pins wouldn't do much with that weight. Truck is rated to carry 10 tons in the bed on road. You would want weight as far forward of the front tandem and on top of the rear axle. You want to still tow something with all that weight too? Or no? It's an A2. Doing either or both it would be slow

azkcr

Wow. Super quick. Thanks guys.
And it would be only towing the CWs.
I would probably build my own bed.
And I'd turn it up a hair and throw in some 4k gov springs to help the power.
And the crane only goes 60mph.
I can leave the (2) 3,500lb cheek weights off which would only be towing 22k lbs

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I'm just not thinking right this morning, but:

I have 29k pounds of counterweights for a crane that I might want to tow with it.
They would not be trailered, they would be rigged to pin into the bed over the axles.

Those two statements seem contradictory. You want ot tow the weights. Not on a trailer, but in the bed?

That's not how I think of towing.

Last edited by a moderator:

azkcr

Maybe I'm just not thinking right this morning, but:

Those two statements seem contradictory. You want ot tow the weights. Not on a trailer, but in the bed?
[SUB][/SUB]
That's not how I think of towing.
Hauling.
Not towing. Lol
Sorry about that, I was anxious to get the question out there and wasn't thinking.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming you want to set this up for long term use (repetative use)?

I think you would be better off using something else.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think I see what you want to do, you want to have the cw next to the crane so it can swing around so you can pin up the cw, I do not see why this would not work. If you do this set up to ovoid breaking springs, I would use WRECKER walking beam suspension in stead of the stock one

azkcr

Ya It'll be long term.
But it will only drive 80-100 miles max per trip. About 2x a month.
And yes, the CW chase trucks haul the extra CWs.
You park close to the crane and use the crane to unload from the truck and stack them on the deck of the crane.
Then the crane swings around and picks up its CWs from it's own deck.
So ya'll think even 20k lbs set directly on the back axles wouldn't necessarily be a good idea?
I understand that there are better options out there for this and we have a fleet of semi trucks.
But we don't want to dedicate a truck and trailer just for this 1 crane. And I have a 5 ton, that just so happens to need a task. lol

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The idea is fine, it is the springs that might get hurt, that is why going to wrecker walking beam suspension would be the way to fix the spring issue and make the springs a NON issue, look at this way, you may go for ever and not break a spring, great but if you do break a spring the cw truck is down which could mean the crane is down unless another truck is used which could cause ripples down the line, on the other hand going to wrecker suspension will deal with the down risk once and for all. Remember there is a REASON that wreckers have walking beam suspension.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think your math is flawed... 29k payload +12k empty weight on the rear tandem= 20,500 per axle. Tires and wheels will be overloaded, as well as way past legal. 20k above the rears and you’ll be fine with the correct tire pressure. Also check tire/wheel width weight laws in your state.

Last edited:

azkcr

I see what you're saying.
That'd be quite the conversion. I'll look into it.
Thanks ya'll for taking your time.

And side note, fixed a fuel-priming issue today. Hose from the LP LP from the filter had pin sized holes all through it.
Disconnected the hardline at the tank and pressured up the hose. Revealed the bad hose

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I see what you're saying.
That'd be quite the conversion. I'll look into it.
Thanks ya'll for taking your time.

And side note, fixed a fuel-priming issue today. Hose from the LP LP from the filter had pin sized holes all through it.
Disconnected the hardline at the tank and pressured up the hose. Revealed the bad hose
Not really, a GOOD air wrench will be your friend AND clean threads.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming you want to set this up for long term use (repetative use)?

I think you would be better off using something else.
Agree M920 with drop axle left on if you want to stay with military stuff. Hendrickson walking beam rear.

Last edited:

Lukes_deuce

On occasion, I haul 17k to 18k pounds in my 923a2. I have a dump hoist so its usually fill or crushed concrete. Truck handles it fine but here are my suggestions for above 20k pay load. Dual tires, the super singles are great for off road and up to 20k but the truck gets a little squishy without inflating the tires to max pressure. Plus you have better security if you get a flat on the road. Upgrade to wrecker springs like the guys stated. Make sure the brakes are adjusted to 100% working order.

I know the rears tandem is rated at 44k but not sure I would load up the truck to that much. Most 923s come in at 21,000 empty. Mine scales in at 22,000 with the hoist and etc. I usually scale 37k to 38k and occasionally up to 40k when filled up with a load. Thats the limit for my liking. You can tell shes pretty much maxed out by how the truck flexes when getting into a work site. I welded keepers on the dog bones for added security in rough terrain.

Last edited:

fasttruck

Agree with post 11. Are driving this on public roads or private haul roads ? NJ allows you to max out at 800# per inch of tread width. Regular plates get you to 600# on 10:00x20 tires, special commercial
(read extra cost) are required to get the rest. Check the sidewalls of the tires you are using to make sure the weight carried does not exceed the weight load limit of the tires. Do not ask how I know this. DOTs regard trucks as ATM machines so any violation is usually expensive. No $25.00 tickets anymore

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
5 ton wheels are only rated for 9000lbs. 1400s are rated for 11k+ you will be overloading the wheels with risk of breaking the wheel face over time

dmetalmiki

All the loading and weight data is in the T.M,s.
Puzzles me why people (after 'need' 'Have' to) want to overload any vehicle beyond legal.
Modify?.
Make sure your insurance company is aware.

So right wrong or otherwise. Most likely wrong but I'm adventurous. BUT I've scaled 53k and some change and more on mine more than once. Zero issues this far. But I could see long term issues with it being done on a regular basis. I'm not giving advice just experience. I like to find limits I guess. I can legally be either 50 or 52k here in Michigan. But that requires that only 34k be on the rear tandem. Which isn't likely to be the case for the factory location of it being basically centered under the bed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks