• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another 5ton towing scenario question

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Really the overload of the tires and wheels is not much of a issue, just put heavier rated tires and wheels on, as far a total weight, just get a yearly overweight permit, dump the bed, replace it with a cw support frame work with pins for the cws to sit on. As far as the axles go, the 5t axles are greatly UNDER rated by the military, these drop ins WERE the heavy duty go to axle for all the heavy duty loading from the late 40s to the early 80s, they were put under cranes, drill rigs, extreme heavy haul, huge winch trucks, just about anything that required a heavy loading axle.

I think this plan is a very workable one if the proper precautions and mods are done and in place, being that the crane lower unit power is most of the time under powered and it can not get out of its own way so anything over about 50 requires either a tail wind or a down hill run, there is no worry of a need for 75 mph, the loaded 5t and the crane will most likely go up the hill at about the same speed, SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like it would be better to have a truck that could carry more than just the counter weights. Extra steel or tools plus cribbing. Still say M920 with winch removed and put in front of truck. Reduce the wire size so the spool could handle something like 300 feet of cable. Custom 15 /16 foot bed right up to the cab. Believe your going to be pushing the 5 ton but it's your truck.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best advice I've read so far in this thread is: "Make sure your insurance company knows."

If they are not willing to defend you in a LIABILITY case, then I'd have to assume you are a VERY WEALTHY person able to pay for any and all damages caused to others.

Let's see if we've got all the bases covered here...

Hauling 20,000+ lbs with a 5-ton

Customize bed because you need something to suit your specific needs... check

Change out engine for something with more power because climbing hills at 5 MPH is going to annoy you... check

Change out transmission because you're going to smoke it... check

Change out transfer case because you're going to smoke it... check

Change out wheels and tires because you're going to smoke them... check

Make appointment for some back surgery because the rough riding truck is going to smoke it... check

Beat head against the wall later because a more suitable truck would have been cheaper in the end... check

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just thinking military. The 920 has longer frame rails plus the drop axle that would help with braking. Problem is drop axle on the 920 is a heavy one. Maybe a used civilian triaxle dump converted to your needs or triaxle tractor. I don't know what the DOT bridge law is in Tx. There are things I would do with a MV and some things I would not. Better to go civilian.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks