• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Bad Blower Motor

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stumps, Thank you for that write up. My blower is working good, but the day will come. I'll at least try to fix mine now. Amasing what some of you know about these trucks. Ron

stumps

You're welcome!

This fix-it obsession of mine is just part of what happens to you when you were taught how to live by a father that grew up on a farm in Wisconsin during the Great Depression.

I sometimes wish I could just toss and replace, but I can't do that without feeling very guilty.

-Chuck

Boatcarpenter

OK Stumps,
Here is a question for you. I mounted my heater in the cab and the blower motor is positioned so the blower shaft
is operating in a vertical position. Had some trouble so pulled the motor and fired it up in the vertical positiion. It works
but jumps up and down. When I operate it in the horizontal position, it runs fine. I suspect the end bearings are not
made for vertical operation. Having taken one apart, can you confirm this?
Thanks,
BC

stumps

OK Stumps,
Here is a question for you. I mounted my heater in the cab and the blower motor is positioned so the blower shaft
is operating in a vertical position. Had some trouble so pulled the motor and fired it up in the vertical positiion. It works
but jumps up and down. When I operate it in the horizontal position, it runs fine. I suspect the end bearings are not
made for vertical operation. Having taken one apart, can you confirm this?
Thanks,
BC
Hi BC,

The universal motors in these blowers have simple oilite (sintered bronze) sleeve bearings. The only thing they have to keep the armature centered is a couple of plastic washers that take up most of the space. They rely on the magnetic attraction of the armature to the field to keep the armature centered. If you run them vertically, gravity will pull the armature down, and it will tend to bounce off of the spacing washers, and that is what you are seeing.

You can sometimes get away with vertical operation if you adjust the motor's stack of spacers to reduce the up/down play a bit, but you really should be using a motor that has ball bearings.

These motors are available both ways, and you usually can convert them to ball bearing by simply replacing the oilite bearings with the correct standard size ball bearing... they will be quite a bit noisier with ball bearings, but you will never notice that in a deuce ;-)

-Chuck

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all these smoked motors, i need a different squirrel cage fan for mine. mine vibrates like crazy. must have gotten bent at one time. The motor itself feels really hot when it is running. i wonder if mine is on its way out.:cry:

stumps

With all these smoked motors, i need a different squirrel cage fan for mine. mine vibrates like crazy. must have gotten bent at one time. The motor itself feels really hot when it is running. i wonder if mine is on its way out.:cry:
They have no cooling, so it isn't too surprising that they would run rather cozy. However, most are not burning up. The more common problem is for the internal ground wire for the field coil to lose contact with ground. Fix the ground problem inside of the motor by adding another nut (as I described earlier in the thread) and you are good to go for a long, long time.

-Chuck

Boatcarpenter

Thanks Chuck,
I'll be looking for a proper motor. I'll check to see if the NAPA one mentioned will work.
And you are correct, noise is not a problem. I just want heat and defrost!!!
BC

Somemedic

Factory Air/4 Seasons
brand, part # 35552

These are at Advance Auto and are 24v? NAPA seems to be discontinuing these motors so unless your local NAPA can get them we may be SOL.

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA Blower

I found the energy a couple of weeks ago to start replacing and adding some of the stuff I've been collecting for my Deuce.

I replaced the failed heater blower motor, with one I ordered at the local NAPA store a few months ago.

Works like a champs, and is pretty quiet.

Jay

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks