• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another bobber project! And another wasted bed!

Titanium Soldier

Started my bob project today, "won" a few months back a '70 kaiser 27k miles 460 hours (god only know if the gauges lie) not a speck of rust and just serviced by the look sof it. Pulled the bed off with my pickups 12k winch, worked out good till it caught my emergency air valve handle and broke it off:x oh well, could've been worse!!! I suppose if I didnt live in the middle of the mojave and had trees at my disposal it would have been easier! So now i have a massive camo cargo bed sitting in my backyard, (I am very aware this is not the classified ad section, but im working on my 100..... SO if anyone has a need for it PM me, or its goin to the scrapyard, but i feel bad scrapping it when i could see it get used!! its in good shape no rot, ugly paint and not really even rust on it.) I plan on goin with 14.00-20 XLs , hopefully hundy can hook me up, should get some pics up tonight

Ridgerunner

I've sold all four Deuce boxes that I pulled off my trucks. No matter what you have, there is always someone out there, looking to buy what you are selling.

Titanium Soldier

For the suspension i plan on using one of the M105 trailers chassis and springs underneath the deuce frane, to avoid going with blocks. I know the controversy some people have about that method, like cutting and blocking the xmembers on the trailer chassis to make room for the driveshaft, but i personally do not see an issue. I plan on moving the bed back to leave enough of a gap that i can put my spare tire (NDT) between the cab and the M105 bed, so i may need to lengthen the driveshaft more than the normal 5 inches but i havent measured that far ahead yet. I picked up another trailer recently from GL, *looks* new ... we will see, still has the folds in the canvas and paint looks fresh just waiting on the EUC, shouldnt take to long though.

Attachments

USArmyMedic07

Bobber Rear suspension

The rear springs are 2.5" wide, and many you can get perches, shackles.....etc. from many of the 4x4 fab places all over the country. You can get ahold of a spring shop and have them custom build you a top leaf, or just get a set of Chevy 1 ton springs and snag the top leaf. Then flip yours over, and re-use the whole spring pack. Beats the **** out of putting trailer springs on it, or spending 750 bucks for a set of front springs and hardware from Boyce or the likes.

I bought front springs from Boyce and they were great guys to work with, but the parts are just pricey, and this route might save ya 500 or so on the build. Next time I build a bobber, I'll be putting those on mine. Let me know if you want to run 1600R20's on your truck. I know how to make em fit and look GOOD....but if you don't want to, thats cool, because then my truck wont be as unique.

BTW, I'm out in Bakersfield, so if you're ever down my way, don't hesitate to swing by.

USArmyMedic07@yahoo.com

Titanium Soldier

The rear springs are 2.5" wide, and many you can get perches, shackles.....etc. from many of the 4x4 fab places all over the country. You can get ahold of a spring shop and have them custom build you a top leaf, or just get a set of Chevy 1 ton springs and snag the top leaf. Then flip yours over, and re-use the whole spring pack. Beats the **** out of putting trailer springs on it, or spending 750 bucks for a set of front springs and hardware from Boyce or the likes.

I bought front springs from Boyce and they were great guys to work with, but the parts are just pricey, and this route might save ya 500 or so on the build. Next time I build a bobber, I'll be putting those on mine. Let me know if you want to run 1600R20's on your truck. I know how to make em fit and look GOOD....but if you don't want to, thats cool, because then my truck wont be as unique.

BTW, I'm out in Bakersfield, so if you're ever down my way, don't hesitate to swing by.

USArmyMedic07@yahoo.com
Right on man, thanks for the input, ive never heard of it being done that way, but ill look into it, (im also new to this truck) sounds like a better plan, headed back to dirty jersey next month taking some leave, i think i might actualy have a couple sets of springs at my folks house from when i was a kid!

SMOKEWAGON66

Ill take the bed if your just giving it away...Ill even come get it. Wish you put this up like...2 months ago lol...let me know. You still have my # right?

Titanium Soldier

A little update, Works been slow on her so its been a while since the last post!! I decided not to use the m105 bed, i thought it looked stupid once i got it on .. so i ended up cutting the bed down. I have to say next time i do this i will be looking for a plasma cutter and torches. I bet i would end up saving money by not using so many **** sawz-all blades and cutting disks!!

Also for the people out there that are looking to bob theirs without a way to lift the 105 bed onto the truck, ck out the pics, its hard work, but i got it done in about an hour all by myself.

Un-mounting the pre-historic tires from the rims proved to suck a$$ also, i couldnt get the beads to pop from the rims to get the split ring off, not even driving the deuce up on a steel bar would make em budge, the pics showed how i did it, i put as much pressure as my horrid freight cherry picker would give em and then beat them off with a sledge. to mount the 395's i basically did the same thing in order to get the tire bead to sit below the rim enough to get the split ring back on. then i chained em up about 30 ft away and aired them slowly and stopping every so often to look at the ring, no problems!!!! and made sure by smacking the ring (tire was very chained up) with a sledge to make sure it was seated well.

the truck is close to being "done" and by that i mean bobbed, this thing will never be "done" so i suppose its not a word anyone has really used on their trucks around here :D

Oh sidenote, i lengthened my driveshaft about 12 inches to a total of 63" cuz i slid the axle a bit further back than most people, personally i like it better with a little longer wheelbase.

ALMOST FORGOT! gotta give my little brother in the last pic some thanks, he helped me with all the tires, thank god! And my wife who puts up with my inner child haha i sure wouldnt if i was her!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

badga the badger

I've been thinking about sliding the bed forward off the trailer onto the truck. Looks great and simple. Do you have anymore pics and description of the process?-------Aw heck! Badga left himself signed in AGAIN! This post was by Awesome Possum!

Last edited:

Titanium Soldier

My problem is i get to working and then forget about the camera lol so i have no good pics of the process, ill try to explain what i did.

i hooked the trailer up to the deuce and stuck a 2x4 from the deuce frame onto the trailer to make a ramp of sorts. I then attached large 5000lb ratchet straps to either side and started working it up, few inches on one side, then few inches on the other. When it starts to meet the deuce bed is where it gets hard, it gets hung up on quite a few places, the pintle being the worst. When it hangs up just pull it tight against the object, enough to where the straps stretch and then go pick up a side of the bed and it will "pop" over when its clear, then keep working it on.

Once the bed is mostly on the deuce frame, slide blocks of wood under the trailer to frame, in order to keep it from hanging up on the rivets and to clear your air tanks and keep working it slowly up untill its to the point where you can shove it on by hand. The other spot that catches real bad is the old bed mounts and the front mount on the trailer.

It sucks a$$ but it can be done, just dont rush and hurt yourself :beer:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you happen to have the metal splash guards from the Deuce bed, that the rubber mudflaps mount to? If so, would you be willing to part with them? Thanks!

buckskinranch

USArmyMedic07@yahoo.com
Will this set up work on a A3, flipping original springs