• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another brake issue thread.

K5Cruz

Middle of last year I lost a wheel bearing. Everything worked fine before losing the bearing. I finally got around to fixing the truck and now I have little to no brakes.

On first pump the pedal goes nearly to the floor. You can pump the pedal and build some air pressure but little to no stopping power. If I short stroke it when I pump it I can get some brake power. I'm able to get the center axle to lock the tires up on gravel, but not on pavement when short stroking. If I long stroke the pedal and build air pressure it will barely slow down. I doubt it would hold the truck on a steep incline. All of the drums build a little heat when doing this, but not much.

Things I have done: Bled the brakes. Started at the air pack. Plenty of fluid pressure at the air pack with no air pressure. I bled the rest of the brakes with air on the truck. One of the rear most had a little air in it, but it cleared right up and shot steady streams of fluid out of the rest of the brakes. As far as I can tell there is no leaking. I have checked adjustment on the rear, and they are between .010 to .020. I havent done the fronts yet as the wheels are still on.

Short version. I had brakes, now I do not. Pedal goes to floor initially, will build air pressure when pumped but not much brake force. Have bled air pack and brakes, have checked 4 out of 6 shoes for adjustment.

Now what? Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
SOunds like an adjustment issue to me. I usually do 15thou top and bottom. No reason to worry about it till you do them all. If you do them all and still don't get a good pedal, check adjustment of the brake pedal to master cyl. If not after that, its probably time to replace the rubber hoses in the system.