• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another charging system problem for the page

1009er

I have looked through SS and found similar problems and tried to work through it. I havent had the truck long and when I got it home the rear battery was hot and swollen. They guy I bought it from said he had an issue with that style battery before so he got me a new one. Fast forward a couple months of not hardly driving it having a similar issue. This time I noticed my voltmeter was showing over charged when driving. I opened the hood and the battery was hot again. Checked the batteries with a multimeter and got 12.8 to the front battery and 13.53 to the back.

Red wire to 2 pin plug
Key off
ALT 1- 12.6
ALT 2- 26.1

Brown wire
Key on
ALT 1- 12.2
ALT 2- 25.3

My question is after reading through other posts it seems like my alternators are good. Am I correct in that thinking? Does it seem like it's another bad battery? I'm new to these beasts and not a good electrician. I can fumble through it but it's not a strong suit of mine at all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Barrman

ALT 2 charges the rear battery. It has more of a charge than the front battery from what you posted. Try checking at the battery with the engine running. Anything more than 14.4 volts is considered an overcharge situation. That is what you will probably find on the rear battery.

Most likely culprit is the voltage regulator in the passenger side alternator. By them selves, they are around $10. I would suggest though that you buy a rebuild kit for an 27si Delco alternator. They can be found for less than $50 to your door. A 1/4 inch drive socket set, paper clip and about 30 minutes on the bench is what a rebuild takes.

Don't turn any lights on with the volt meter in the red. I had a regulator stick on me in town one night. The low beams went, I pulled over and pulled the plug from the side of the alternator. I started home again with the gauge in the yellow. I turned on the hi beams and the volt meter went back to the red when I got moving. POP! went the hi beams. I made it home on the running lights with flashers when other cars were around. Rebuild kit and 2 headlights later all was well again.

1009er

sorry for the late reply. Im on nights this week and I don't do much during the day but sleep. I checked it all out again. this time on ALT 2 I had 31 volts while running. think we got the culprit. Ill be ordering a rebuild kit tonight. everything else voltage wise is looking good.