• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another cheap paintjob

Titanium Soldier

I know alot of you guys have been using Behr paints for your truck, and im not bashing them i think they look awesome! But i just didnt want latex on my truck, i just dont like the idea of it.. personal preferance i suppose. So i used Rustoleum oil based paint. The tan (in gloss) i matched off of a cap on a krylon camo tan spraypaint, i figured its a bobber what the **** its already modified so it doesnt need to be correct! And the black was just gloss black. I washed the truck and before i sprayed i blew it off with the air nozzle from the compressor. I thinned the paint about 30% acetone and used about 3 qts of ta and 3 qts of black. I thnk it came out pretty good. I only had to do 1 coat and it was all covered but i had leftover paint so i spayed it again. i didnt tape off anything at all because thats what razor blades are for, and im lazy!!! I used a Horrid freight 15$ HVLP gun at about 70 psi (kinda high i suppose) and it sprayed pertfectly. The gloss paint turned more into a satin or semi gloss paint probably because of the carc underneath i would assume. So let me know what you guys think! positive or negative comments are appreciated! just dont be a feminine cleaning product please! The third pic is the ugly camo i did out of boredom one night, it had to go!

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Like it ALLOT! Looks much better than the camo job. I used Rustoleum flat back but thinned with paint thinner instead of Acetone so I think that's what caused my "chalking"..

Nice job!

Titanium Soldier

Thank you for the compliments, deuceswild i used acetone only because of a friend that told me acetone is better, i have no idea how true it is or what!! but the rustoleum flat oil based i have used in the past has all turned chalky after a while, perhaps a clearcoat would fix it... just an idea

Navo

I know alot of you guys have been using Behr paints for your truck, and im not bashing them i think they look awesome! But i just didnt want latex on my truck, i just dont like the idea of it.. personal preferance i suppose. So i used Rustoleum oil based paint. The tan (in gloss) i matched off of a cap on a krylon camo tan spraypaint, i figured its a bobber what the **** its already modified so it doesnt need to be correct! And the black was just gloss black. I washed the truck and before i sprayed i blew it off with the air nozzle from the compressor. I thinned the paint about 30% acetone and used about 3 qts of ta and 3 qts of black. I thnk it came out pretty good. I only had to do 1 coat and it was all covered but i had leftover paint so i spayed it again. i didnt tape off anything at all because thats what razor blades are for, and im lazy!!! I used a Horrid freight 15$ HVLP gun at about 70 psi (kinda high i suppose) and it sprayed pertfectly. The gloss paint turned more into a satin or semi gloss paint probably because of the carc underneath i would assume. So let me know what you guys think! positive or negative comments are appreciated! just dont be a feminine cleaning product please! The third pic is the ugly camo i did out of boredom one night, it had to go!
WOW! you did that without any taping off? I salute you sir! Thats is a heck of a paint job! Looks Great!!

3dAngus

Acetone is dangerous stuff. It kills brain cells. Shocking it hasn't been banned in Calif. along with everything else that works.

Looks good. I've seen a heckuva lot of incredibly cheap paint jobs on MVs that the military did, and yours is far superior to many I've seen so I wouldn't complain. The way so many of these MVs from out of GL bubble up on the paint, you would think they wash it first and paint it when still wet.

Anyway, I'll probably do mine the same way, but without the use of acetone. I get a headache just being in the same room with an open container of it, regardless of how small a container. Wifey used to clean off her fingernails with it, then the fingers (skin) started cracking. No more! Be careful with that stuff. I don't recommend it.

RangerBob

I don't think acetone is a serious health problem. Your body produces it and it can help control epilepsy. In higher concentrations it can be an irritant, but that's about it. It takes some rediculously high concentrations to become toxic, i.e. don't drink it, don't inhale it. If you get it on your skin, I suppose its' high rate of evaporation can draw off your natural skin moisture and cause cracking, just like alcohol. Like any other tool, use it properly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone#Health_information

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After hearing that the guys in the military would dip a paper towel into paint buckets and wipe it on their trucks I'd say anything we do is an improvement.

It looks pretty good to me. I bought a new HF HVLP sprayer and for the life of me I can't find it now. So I used rattle cans.

ryan77

Ive been using a Harbor freight $15.00 dollar gun for 2 years. Painted the duece with it also! The old paint job looked like they used a mop blind folded!!!

Titanium Soldier

Ill try to get more pics up later tonight, I try not to breath to much of any chemical in, same with acetone. I work on Jets as a profession so i'm unfortunately exposed to more garbage that i cant even pronounce let alone spell. ALWAYS use a respirator, and if you dont have one, either dont do the job or leave the area... My brother was using KILLZ or whatever that stuff is that is a stain cover on the sheetrock of his house without one and ended up having it partially line his stomach with paint. He couldnt digest his food and the only way to get it off was by drinking alot of acidic drinks like OJ and apple juice.

ruckus

OK, I'll try not to be a feminine hygiene product! But here's my opinion.

I LOVE me some desert tan on a MV. It's just something you don't see much of for some reason, so the ones I do see I usually really like.

But that being said, I DON'T like full or even semi gloss on an MV. The flatter/duller the better for me.
I do think you did a Dern good job on the paint tho. It looks dang nice. Especially for no masking!

Take my opinion for what it's worth (Nothing) you're the one that paid for the deuce, so put Sierra club logo's all over it for all I care (I Realllly hope you don't)

Take care!
Jason

SMOKEWAGON66

Hey TS...just keep looking lol...I had a helluva time trying to find Xylene around here, and had to settle for Xylene/toluene replacement with 0 VOC because of CA's stupid EPA rules. Maybe theres some sort of replacement for naptha.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks