• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another CTIS Issue

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Imagine that, an issue with the CTIS. I have attached a link to a video of my truck. The rear axle quick release valve does this, then stops, repeatedly and eventually all tires will deflate. No flashing codes. I looked at the TM, but it isn't very helpful. Also, the link to the Dana Diagnostic Tool download apparently is no longer available. Link is to video of noise.

CTIS Noise

5TID

Not really an expert here, so....

Is the controller actively trying to inflate or deflate the system? If all tires deflate, that means the system is pressurized to open all the wheel valves, right? Does it do it with the controller disconnected?

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Imagine that, an issue with the CTIS. I have attached a link to a video of my truck. The rear axle quick release valve does this, then stops, repeatedly and eventually all tires will deflate. No flashing codes. I looked at the TM, but it isn't very helpful. Also, the link to the Dana Diagnostic Tool download apparently is no longer available. Link is to video of noise.

CTIS Noise
One of my rear quick release valves did something similar last winter when I had the system connected to shop air to try to find leaks. But only when it had the tires leveled off at the same pressure as the input from the shop air. Basically when the inlet and outlet were the same, it was constantly dithering between having the QR valve shut and having it slightly open. So it would sit and hum a little, although mine was quieter than that and I doubt I would have heard it over the truck running if I hadn't been running it off the air compressor.

I don't really know where that leads for troubleshooting though. I would have thought as a whole assembled system that the input pressure should always be higher than the tire pressure, so it should never get to this point. Is it possible you have a restriction upstream, either in the CTIS inlet air filter or the solenoid box, where it gets enough pressure for the initial 120 psi check but then is flow restricted enough that the pressure on both sides of the QRV are essentially equal when filling tires?

I have not had it happen myself but I have seen folks say that a leaking hub seal makes a squealing sound, too. Are you 100% sure it is the QRV? If in any doubt, take the output line out of the solenoid box and hook it to a regulated 70 psi shop air line to pressurize the whole CTIS system and see what it does without the added sound of the engine running.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really an expert here, so....

Is the controller actively trying to inflate or deflate the system? If all tires deflate, that means the system is pressurized to open all the wheel valves, right? Does it do it with the controller disconnected?
It is trying to inflate the tires (Highway Mode). Tires eventually deflate when controller is unplugged. I currently have valve stems in all tires and controller unplugged.

KN6KXR

You probably have a hub seal leak. First things first: build a test tool and check all the hub seals. The method to make the tool is in the TM's. I posted the one I made in a thread here somewhere......

With the schraeders in the stems the system won't work. It can't pop open the QRV's and check the pressure that way. I suggest you download the P2P program with the animation and study that it's pretty good for learning the system.

I find the CTIS on my 936 to be super handy and worth the effort. It's still widely used in the FMTV/LMTV world not sure why guys unplug them all on the 939 trucks. It's basically the same system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks