• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Dead short

dstang97

Now i have one in my drivers side alternator. This is not making sense. Advanced auto said it tested good. But when i have the wires hooked up and a test light from the negative to the battery it is still lighting up. What is weird is its not enough to pop a fuseable link.... So what gives? when i disconnect the wires the test light goes away. I am 99.9% sure it is not a cut in the wire.

That last short i had was a bad starter, but is fixed now.

HikerMan

One short I had that was keeping my truck from starting for awhile was a melted, grounded diode behind the air cleaner that made the short on and off, confusing the **** out of me. Not sure if this will help, but good luck :beer:

dstang97

I'm going to swap out another used alternator and see what happens. I do not trust the people down at advanced auto. I will report back later on in the day.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've read many posts here, where people say the auto store tested their alt and said it was "good", when in fact it has had a bad diode or regulator, causing a slow draw/short.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks