• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Deuce that wont start...but does crank...

BlizzardX23

I pulled all three filters so that I could change them.

On the first page, I posted pictures of all three filters...they were all nasty..

I can't remember which...but in the 2nd pair...one of the filters had a clean blue tint to the fuel...the other had a nasty brown tint. also, I can't remember which one..but one of them was full of fuel, the other only had about half the canister full..

Once I get the new filters in, I'm going to bleed it...and check if I'm getting fuel at the injectors

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you check the lever on the IP under the fuel shutoff cover? Your first picture shows the cover removed. If it is stuck and doesn't move freely then you will never get fuel to flow to the injectors.

The lever is on the bottom side of the bracket with the two screws.

Fuel Shutoff.jpgFuel Shutoff #2.jpg

And a thread that may help

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?41122-Injection-pump-repair

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since it moves freely, you may have lost the clip for the hydrolic head button. To replace it requires removing the HH. Gimpyrobb may have a new keeper.

I'll search for the thread that covers it.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Since it moves freely, you may have lost the clip for the hydrolic head button. To replace it requires removing the HH. Gimpyrobb may have a new keeper.

I'll search for the thread that covers it.
This is what I found on one of my trucks, the button was floating around in the housing with the keeper. . . .

Adrian A

If you cracked open an injector line and have no fuel, but have fuel coming out of the final filters than your hydraulic head probably lost the button and keeper like the others are saying. The keeper needs to be replaced and you need to find the button inside the injection pump. This could be easy or hard depending on where the button went when it came off. You should also replace the hydraulic head o - rings to prevent leaks. It's not expensive but does require some skill.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Get your filters replaced and let us know what happens. If you have fuel at the secondary bleeder and no fuel to the injectors, your next step will be to pull the center bolt in the HH and see if the plunger moves up and down. From there you will be pulling the HH. If your button has fallen off, I have new keepers(thanks to some of the awesome members of this site). Welldigger has the O-rings. We should get you going one way or another.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is why I LOVE this site! Good guyz helping another troop out!! Gives ya that warm and fuzzy, ya know? Thanks guyz for doin what ya always do, help another when in need!

God bless,
Tony

KaiserM109

I didn't see anything about your in-tank fuel pump.

There is a booster pump on the Injector Pump (IP) that can run everything as long as no air gets into the lines. If during the year it sat, the lines drained somewhere, the booster can't get enough fuel to run. Check the output of the in-tank pump. Advice: if you need a pump, don't try to get by with an inline pump and be cautious about used in-tank pumps. It can test good until just before it fails. Go to Olympic, who builds the real thing, and spend $250.

ATPTac

I didn't see anything about your in-tank fuel pump.

There is a booster pump on the Injector Pump (IP) that can run everything as long as no air gets into the lines. If during the year it sat, the lines drained somewhere, the booster can't get enough fuel to run. Check the output of the in-tank pump. Advice: if you need a pump, don't try to get by with an inline pump and be cautious about used in-tank pumps. It can test good until just before it fails. Go to Olympic, who builds the real thing, and spend $250.
In the original post he said he can hear it when he turns the power on. So I would assume its working.

welldigger

Just cause the pump makes noise doesn't mean it's working. The the bottom half of the in tank pump is known to fall off in the tank. So the motor would run but no fuel will be pumped.

ATPTac

Same here. Though, I'll be the first to admit I have completely overlooked simple and obvious things because I "assumed" that couldn't be the problem.
I do it constantly at work. A car can come in with a problem, and I just assume its something more complicated than it actually is because its ever so slightly different than said problem would normally be, spend a couple hours diagnosing it just to find out it was something really simple I should have known off the get go. You know what they say about assuming...

3rdaavbn

The fuel shut off piston is stuck in the shut off position. Meaning the cable did not push it back into the open position the last time you shut the engine down and pushed the knob back in.

BlizzardX23

I definitely hear what you're saying about bypassing the obvious. The pump is sending fuel through the lines though..checked that first.

I'm going to do a search and see what you guys are talking about with the button and keeper on the HH.

The fuel cutoff is in good shape...it doesn't move freely as if it were disconnected..it moves smoothly as if it's not catching up on anything...I can easily move it back towards the cab of the truck...and it will spring back when I let go of it...so that's working correctly.

BlizzardX23

Hey everyone...I got the filters and spare time to change them...I'm running into a problem though...the Baldwin replacement for the primary fuel filter doesn't seem to match..it doesn't fit right =/ Here are some pics
20140111_111513.jpg

20140111_104058.jpg

20140111_102920.jpg20140111_103403.jpg20140111_102935.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks