• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another fuel issue

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After speaking last week on the phone with Duckworthe, we shared a few ideas as to the issues we were having with fueling. At first I thought the metal swarf in the water/fuel separator bowl may have come from the hand priming pump. (I determined this was not working last week, and ordered a new filter and hand priming pump mentioned in a previous post.)

I then remembered that I had added the second fuel tank, Although I washed it out good, there were probably metal shavings from the cutting process that stuck to the internal baffles in the tank, and made their way up to the motor via the cross over tube to the main.

As I had to leave town for a few days for a Grand-kiblet HS graduation, this project would need to wait.

I got back this morning and found the hand pump and filter had arrived. Oh boy, I'll get it running today!

IMG_3321.jpg

Not so fast...

The hand pump as delivered has 3/8" MIP thread whereas the old one has 1/2". After hitting a couple of the local NAPA stores that were open today trying to locate fittings and adapters, I resigned myself to hitting the Parker Hose dealer in Reno tomorrow for a sure fix.

Since I was headed there, it would be a great time to pull my old cracked and krusty fuel lines and replace them too. Bwahahaha... They would not come out! No way..
After lowering the spare and having a look, I found this...

IMG_3325 (1).jpg
It is very, very tight fit between the rear cross member and the tool box. After removing the 4 bolts closest to the side, and loosening the back 4, I used a long prybar to scoot it forward. Only then, could I finally pull the hoses out. (The rope pictured is to pull them back when replaced). On the top of the tool box you will find there are 8, 13 mm shouldered bolts with nuts to match. Again, since 'I'm already in there', I will replace all of the them as part of the repair.

Another observation... Who uses teflon thread tape on flare fittings?!? The last person who fitted my fuel lines, that's who. I found it on all fittings that were removed from the governor and inside the supply line going from the tank to the fuel/water separator. Possibly another cause of my fuel supply problems?

My goal remains to get it running this week. This truck is truly the gift that keeps giving..! :grd:

Pointman

Last edited:

Duckworthe

Great talking to you Pointman.
I went out to start my truck the other day after using HHS, Hot Shot Secrets, in my oil and fuel systems. I added the product last week to see if it was just my injectors leaking that was causing all of the issues that I posted at the start of this thread. Well I am happy to say that the truck started up very well and I had no white smoke at start up. Now I have only driven the truck about 16 miles after using the product so I am hoping that it gets even better as it "cleans" itself up. I am not going to claim victory yet but I am very hopeful. I will keep updating everyone as things get better or worse as time goes by. Thank you to all that have emailed, texts, call me to give me your thoughts to what is wrong with my truck. I think we are on the right track now. Fingers crossed that no injectors have to come out.
Eric 619-952-4337

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VICTORY!

Last evening (thank God the sun stays out until 9:00 pm) I installed my new priming pump/fuel-water separator and three new fuel likes (Thanks Parker Hoses in Reno!). After pumping the primer until I felt increased resistance, the truck fired up instantly.

This evening I will repair the tank vent fitting that I broke (pot metal...:whistle:) during the hose replacement process, and add more fuel and a dose of the HSS mentioned by Duckworthe.

Now, on the the re-gearing!

Pointman

pontiac62

Awesome.

Glad to hear your up an running again.

How much fuel line did it take to replace your lines?
Pontiac62

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Judging by the amount laid out on the build table, I would guess 10" total for all three lines. We used the newer Parker push-loc fittings.

The whole setup is just so much nicer than the old crusty lines that were there before, and I'd swear the truck runs better... Mys total cost for everything was about $150.00.

Cheap insurance!

Pointman

Duckworthe

Ok so I think it is time that I can make my honest opinion of the truck at this point. After letting the truck sit for many days and various starts of the engine, I am sure that the issue that I had at the start of the post are gone. It fires right up every time with no smoke and or stumbling. I do feel that the issue was injector "Stiction". I was worried that I was going to have a major repair bill on my hands and it turned out that with the great minds that we have here its figured out. I give everyone here that replied and or called me the credit! I also put the HHS in our Kenworth hauler that has the 3126 and the slight "Miss" that it would have now and then is also gone. I don't recommend "snake oils" to anyone but I will tell you that both "HHS" and "MotorKote" are not snake oils. They have both worked as advertised. I Certainly hope that this also helps out others in the future.
Eric 619-952-4337

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks