• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another fuel leak....

I just took the green machine out for a little drive today and when I parked it I noticed a little drip spot, it was fuel. Upon further searching I traced the leak to a unit bolted on the front, bottom passenger side of the engine. Is that the lift pump? I'm not sure if the leak is from the hose going to it or the unit itself.
If my manual weren't in a different city I'd just look it up, instead of asking dumb question, but what is it?

Braunchitis

Well crap, it worked earlier.

Try this one. It's the one on the top left this time.

http://www.lmctruck.com/ICATALOG/CC/full.aspx?Page=130

Edit: If you do have to replace the pump, it may help when re-priming the motor to use one of those things used to bleed brake lines...it's a little hand powered pump with a little reservoir on it. Hook it up to a fuel line near the filter to draw fuel up to closer to the motor...So it's not so hard on the starter. I broke my starter that way when I had to replace my lift pump.

maritimer

i am running into the same problem the rubber fuel line from the tank is getting pin holes right at the end of the nipple on the lift pump almopst looks like it is being pinched by the cross member. not sure though

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's being pinched there is a good possibility that the rubber in the frame side of the engine mounts has collapsed.

maritimer

DriverSideImpact1008 said:
Yeah thats it. The rubber hose is where the leaks at. I'll have to check this weekend...maybe the hose clamp is a little loose...otherwise here we go with more air bleeding...
pull the hose off completly and check the lift pump side of it for punctures, you will likely find at least 1 little tiny one right about where the end of the nipple sits in the hose. i guess my motor mount did let go like was said earlier and every time the engine torques itself over or bounces it pinches the line in between the cross member and the pump. given how i use my truck i seem to be replacing that hose every couple of days, guess its time to call napa and get new motor mounts

I have no idea where the leak is coming from. I was out looking for it, running it, looking up and down for it. But I can't tell. Just seeping out of somewhere. I decided to go with the cheap fix first and get a 1' section of fuel hose and 2 clamps. I'm putting it on tomorrow, so we'll see.

Ok, I put the new hose on there. Leaks even worse than before, I'm pretty sure its the seam on the case or one of the fittings on the bottom. So....I guess I'll have to get a new transfer pump. I guess its only $22 at napa.

CCATLETT1984

its cheap, but FYI you will be cursing putting it in.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let the rod drop all the way down when you pull the pump out, or you will be pulling the access plate to push it back up.
When installing use heavy grease (marine wheel bearing grease works well) to hold the rod up till you ge tthe arm in.

I was thinking...could I use a univ. low-pressure electric pump instead of the diaphragm/mechanical pump and just leave the old pump bolted to the engine?? A single bypass surgery.

superburban

DriverSideImpact1008 said:
I was thinking...could I use a univ. low-pressure electric pump instead of the diaphragm/mechanical pump and just leave the old pump bolted to the engine?? A single bypass surgery.
YES! It makes re-priming after running out of fuel (or from air leaks) a snap. No more endless cranking on the engine. Just open the top of the fuel filter, put the key to the KOEO postition, and wait until fuel spits out. Shut the key off, close the air bleed on the filter, and start your truck up like normal. One of the best mods I ever did to my Superburban.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks